Thursday, October 19, 2006

Dilly Dallying In Darwin

Everyone was a little bit surprised at the announcement that Darwin would be my next destination. What's the big deal? It's the capital city of NT, it's gotta be kinda big and surely it beats going to somewhere in country Victoria. The only bad thing I noticed was that they dont get Channel 10!!!!!! They mix some Channel 10 programs onto Channel 7 so I guess you don't miss out on too much (me likey having TV very muchies). All in all, Darwin is just a giant, laid-back country town with skyscrapers as high as a six storey apartment block. A good place to get away from rat race antics.

Anyway, despite all the warnings about the heat, I found I could cope quite well! It wasn't quite humid yet so it was bearable. However, living long term here, I could see myself missing my four seasons and wearing something that is not always singlet and shorts.

Some pics of my first day there:

Mindil Beach. This is the main beach in Darwin where they hold a twice weekly afternoon/night market during the Dry Season.


My crepe with avocado, cheese and some sort of tomato salsa. Yum yum!


Another thing I noticed in Darwin was that mangoes are like DIRT. They fall off trees everywhere, lying rotten on the ground. Supposedly no one buys mangoes here, nearly everyone has a tree and if you don't then you get them for free from your neighbour!


I thought my staff member was being very nice to me when she offered me some mangoes, but really it's just cos she's sick of them! I happily obliged to take any unwanted smooth cheeked fruits from her.

I was staying across the road from the main chinese temple in Darwin and there is no point to this photo apart from the fact that I wanted to go into the Chinese Museum but it was shut due to repairs.

No comments: