Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Barossa Valley Wine Tour

If there was one thing I was determined to do while in Adelaide, it was to visit the Barossa Valley. I'm sure all the other wineries in Australia do good wine but I was pulled towards the Barossa for some mysterious reason. Maybe because that's where Penfolds estate is? Not that I've even tasted Penfolds. I've heard McLarenvale, south of Adelaide was better for boutique wines but I figured that it was unlikely I would return to Adelaide any time soon, hence my decision stuck.

I'm sure they wont mind the advertising but I would recommend Prime Mini tours if anyone wants to take a wine tour in Adelaide. A good selection of wineries with a good tour price.

First stop was the Wolf Blass Winery. One of t
he more larger wineries, this where Moo picked up a bottle of port. I realise now that I'm not really a port drinker. Oh, well, maybe only when it's cold and I have a roasting fire, cigar and a pipe then I'll consider it.


Us and the Wolf Blass eaglehawkie.


Oh look, even the shelter has wings.

Next stop for the day was Maggie Beer's Farm Shop. Maggie appears on ABC on 'The Cook and the Chef'. She wasn't there that day so I couldn't get her autograph, but even if she was there, I don't think I would have wanted it anyway.


Maggie Beers had this kick-ass Pheasant pate, which I didn't buy on the day, but is available in DJs. Maybe it was the wine that we tasted prior that enhanced the flavour however, the pate I purchased a few days later didn't taste quite as great as it did at the farm :(

It wasn't bad, but it felt mediocre given that I nearly ate the who
le sample tub at the shop! It was a bit of a struggle to eat all that pate alone in Adelaide but I somehow managed! Maggie Beers is where I picked up a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz that is meant to compliment the pate. I have yet to buy another pate tub, but here's hoping.

Lunch was at the Barossa Valley Estate where I didn't buy any wine but had a yummy lunch platter of cold meats, cheese, olives and the like. Too lazy to take a photo here.

Langmeil Winery was next and my favourite winery on the tour. Whilst at the other wineries I definitely had my ticks and crosses, all the wines here were to my palate. Mmmmm mmm mmmmm. I wanted to buy them all but refrained from doing so cos didn't want to lug it all the way back to Melbourne!

The tourguide provided us the history to Langmeil and it just made you appreciate the wine so much more. I wont bother going into details as y
ou can read it on the link. The point is, Langmeil is home to one of the oldest vines in the world which provides them with an exceptional shiraz (which wasn't available for testing cos it sold out! Dammit!)


Moo and I playing in the vinyard. Being winter, there were no grapes!

One of the 160 (!!!) year old vines.


Where's Mooey?
Moo doing her best Where's Wally impersonation. I wonder if she realises it's not very good.

Moo picked up a bottle of Grenache, which she plans to open upon completing her PhD. If on schedule that should be in March 2009. Let's hope she finishes on time as it was recommended the bottle be opened before 2014.

Chateau Tanunda was our final winery of the tour. Here we were given a tasting by a very enthusiastic, young, blonde cutie. I'm pretty sure she wasn't smashed but it's nice to have people who love their jobs to share their passion with you. Here, I also found a yum yum blue cheese which I have yet to hunt down but was advised is available at Queen Vic market.


Tower at Chateau Tanunda.


Our tour group.

Here is where I picked up a bottle of sauvignon blanc. I'm not a biggie on white wine, but this one was so nice and we already had two reds, that I felt I should even it out with a white.


Our stash.

Lessons learnt from the tour:
  • I prefer Cabernet Sauvignons over Shiraz
  • I thought I was a fan of sweet/dessert wines, but not so anymore. But don't stop me from drinking them!
  • Remember to wipe your mouth after each tasting, cos I ended up with purple lips at the end of the day and no one told me. Moo wiped her mouth but she didn't bother to tell me.
  • A day of tasting really stains your teeth.
Anyway, this has re-opened my interest in wine and I plan to take a Yarra or Hunter Valley one in the near future. Anyone wanna come?

No comments: