Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz is one of those classic movies which is like The Sound of Music.  I can watch it every time it's aired on TV and still find it entertaining.  So when I saw that there was stage version playing in London (those tube advertisements work!), I promptly booked my ticket.  It was also probably going to be my only opportunity to see the great Michael Crawford on stage as he had the title, yet relatively minor role of The Wizard.  
Outside the Palladium theatre.  Where I had also watched Sister Act and The Sound of Music.  

I paid £40 for my upper circle ticket which is a bit on the expensive end considering the seat location but the show has only recently opened.  It was a pretty crap seat too - the bottom left corner was obscured from my view!  I asked the usher if I could move and I was give seat I19.  It was a bit further back but at least I could see the entire stage. 
My better view.  

Anyway, what can I say?  There's not much to criticise - it's the movie but on stage!  Michael Crawford got a small applause when made his entrance and he gave us an acknowledging wave... that was nice.  I was impressed with the real dog playing Toto.  It was so well behaved, although it was pretty obvious it was just chasing doggy treats on stage.  The actress who plays Dorothy won the role in a competition search.  The wicked witch was scary, green and melted nicely into the stage.  Pyrotechnics were used when pyrotechnics were needed.  

Overall, a very watchable show and good for a family day out but don't expect much of a deviation from the movie.  

No comments: