Monday, May 09, 2011

Boyce Avenue Concert

I first stumbled across Boyce Avenue while writing my Thriller Live review.  I was trying to find some performances by the Token White Guy and saw him sing an acoustic version of Leona Lewis' 'Bleeding Love', which made me then type 'bleeding love acoustic' in the youtube search bar.  Just an example of how surfing on the internet can lead to discoveries. 

Anyway, I came across Boyce Avenue's version:
This is already an awesome song and an acoustic version was just as nice to listen to.  I watched a few more Boyce Avenue clips and thought, 'Hey you guys are waaaay better than a lot of commercial acts out there.'  They flew off my radar for a while until someone posted this on my FB feed:


Waaah!  So good woar!!

So I went back to watching more clips which had become slightly more sophisticated and saw that they had accrued a pretty big fanbase.  It wasn't hard to see why - they have a pretty good knack at turning bad songs to good and good songs to even better!    So when I found out they would be performing in Munich, I told Mooey and we made a mental note to go.  However, we underestimated their popularity and tickets were sold out by the time we were ready to purchase them :(  Boo hoo.  

I saw that there were tickets still available for their London performance and decided to ask if any Londoners wanted to join me.  The good news was that they were already going!  Yaaaaaay!  
Our view of the stage.

The venue was Koko in Camden which has housed many famous acts usually in their up and coming days.  I had hoped that they would perform a lot of the covers I'd seen on youtube but they mainly performed original material which were okay.  Maybe they just weren't to my musical tastes but honestly, I couldn't picture any of the original songs becoming huge international hits.  Maybe they need a little hand in the songwriting department.  

The covers which they did performed were tailored for the British crowd who got pretty excited at Take That's 'Back for Good' and Oasis' 'Wonderwall'.  Yay!  Will Boyce Avenue be a huge band one day?  Who knows but they sure do have the potential.  

No comments: