Saturday, May 07, 2011

Borough Market Again

I like cheese.  Both literally and figuratively.  Today I had the literal stuff in the form of raclette..... warm, melted raclette cheese.  Smee and I are quite lucky to have Borough as our 'local market'.  I use that term in the loosest sense, as it is overrun with tourists and true essence of a locals' market is not quite there.  Smee and I don't really buy a lot of produce here but instead treat it like our personal snack/lunch factory.

I'd always seen the Kappacasein stall at Borough but always bypassed it.  I think it was a case I was already stuffing my face before I reached the stall.  Anyway today was the day for melted cheese.  Whilst in the queue we were told that this was the last weekend for them - boo hoo!  They were moving to the nearby  (but not that near) Bermondsey Market.  Damn.  
The cheese wheel halves being melted by a machine that serves no other purpose.  

Grilled, melted raclette cheese, scraped from the cheese wheel and served on top of potatoes, gherkins and pickled mini onions.

Smee showing us how sticky it is.  Do I really have to state the obvious?  It was yum yum!

Unfortunately it was not enough and I had to get a mackerel bap.  A whole mackerel.  Sometimes you get two! 

Mmmm yummy fried fish.

No comments: