Thursday, May 26, 2011

Shrek: The Musical

I've watched the Shrek movie.  I liked it but not to the extent of how much I loved the Toy Story series, but it's very good nonetheless.  I was pretty excited though to hear the that Shrek musical would open for previews just before I left London.  :D  Who doesn't like seeing lots of people in costume?  
Yep, there's a big, green S with ears.  That's gotta be the theatre.  The show had taken over the Theatre Royal Drury Lane, where I had seen Oliver! last year.  Wow, I didn't know that the theatre has been around since 1663.

I wasn't a lone theatregoer tonight as Leesh happily joined me and we had a quick dinner at nearby Cote before heading into our awesome stall seats. 
Our view of the stage.  Damn that is a good view.  

Some of the memorabilia for sale.  It was tempting to buy a gingerbread man. 

For those who watch Britain's Got Talent, you will recognise Amanda Holden who plays Princess Fiona.  I was initially, 'What?' but then I read she's been in musicals before.  Duh, that makes a lot of sense why she'd be a judge on such a show.  

The music is an entirely original score and a pretty good one at that.  The costumes were so, so good and reminded me much of the Beauty and the Beast production.  I also must give kudos to the person who decided that Lord Farquaad (he's so camp!) should be played by a grown man walking on his knees.  That was hilarious enough in itself and more especially so when he'd occasionally elevate himself using his real legs. The speedy transformation of Fiona from princess to ogre was very impressive too.  The characters from the movie were just exactly as they were but on stage - Pinocchio had his high pitch wail, Donkey sounded just like Eddie Murphy!  The Dragon (a HUGE puppet) was just magnificent.  Just watch some of the videos from the website, you'll see what I mean.    

Go and see Shrek if you're in London.  There's just so much to enjoy!  

No comments: