Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Jamie's Italian

My friend DDQ was in town for a London job gig and we decided to catch up for lunch.  We met at London Westfield nearby his accommodation because he was technically 'working from home'.  With several dining venues on offer we chose Jamie's Italian, another one of Jamie Oliver's offerings.  For someone who only ate at her first Jamie Oliver restaurant three ago, I sure was getting my fill.  

The restaurant was pretty empty but hey, it's was a Tuesday lunch in a suburban shopping centre.  
We started on the crispy polenta chips with rosemary salt and parmesan which came out unbelievably hot.  Very tasty though.  Who'd have thought it?  Then DDQ chose an artisan meat board.  I can't remember which meat was chosen but we were both shocked at how small the 'board' was and how few 'meat' pieces on it.  It was tiny, about 10x10cm.  

Then came our mains.
I had the truffle linguine (I think it was a special that day because I can't find it on the menu) while DDQ had the risotto Milanese (creamy saffron and parmesan risotto with herby roasted bone marrow and lemon & parsley gremolata).  

I didn't expect my linguine to look so plain and devoid of truffle.  Both DDQ and my face morphed into subtle surprise.  I thought I would get large shavings, not tiny little specks!  Nevertheless, a little truffle goes a long way and it was a tasty dish but... you know, it still could stand to have some more obvious truffle-ling!  DDQ's risotto was nice and he did the Viet thing and sucked out all that marrow.  The lemon flavour was surprisingly dominant.  

Overall, it was a pleasant meal but a bit skimp on the portion size.  The food was clearly well executed but there was a lingering feeling of disappointment.  Probably because I was expecting too much from what is essentially a rustic, Italian meal?  Anyway, it won't stop me eating there again.

No comments: