Friday, May 20, 2011

Paris - Musee D'Orsay and Montmartre

Today was the final day for the Bro and the Dad in Paris.  Moo was joining us later in the day so we had to fit in a few more activites.  First stop - Musee D'Orsay.

We got there at the reasonable hour of 10.15am-ish.  The queue was no longer than what Moo and I encountered back in 2007 where I recall being in line for about 20 minutes.  Today we queued for nearly an hour.  Wtf.  I soon realised it was Inefficiency Day at Musee D'Orsay with only two screening devices available and security staff, I dunno, going on coffee breaks, sometimes leaving only one person working.  It definitely wasn't the zoom-zoom I remembered.  If there is a next time, I'll be pre-booking my tickets thanks.
After being agitated at having to queue for so long, I was confused to see 'No photography' signs in the gallery.  Huh?  Since when?  Too many tourists spoil the gallery, I guess.  Parts of the musee were undergoing renovation and so a lot the works I'd seen last time were on loan to other galleries.  Boo.  

Next on the list - Montmartre and a crepe break.
What an epic street name.

Hang on this cafe looks familiar...

It's the cafe where Amelie worked! Café des 2 Moulins is just metres from the Moulin Rouge at 15 Rue Lepic, on the corner of Rue Cauchois.  

Next up the basilica. This was going to be my first time in the crypt (boring and not worth the extra fee) and the dome (exciting).
Me pointing at some random piece of architecture.. a towery, Eiffel-y structure.

By now Moo had choo-chooed into town.  Leaving the Dad at the hotel to mind our stuff, we trotted off to St Germain for some Pierre Herme macarons and cakes.
Moo found Babar on the way. 

So purdy especially with the gritty Gare de l'Est in the background.

.
Yummy!! I've forgotten what they were but Moo's was something along the lines of a giant raspberry macaron with lychee and rose petal ganache/cream.  On further interwebz googling, I found that Mooey had the Ispahan.  Mine was the Tarte Vanille Infiniment.  Mousse-y, vanilla-y goodness.  So smooth, so num but...cake overload! 

Tonight was also the night for me to move into the apartment Moo booked.   It had a most odd arrangement in the main bedroom. 
A bath (not a bathroom) behind the bedhead.  This makeshift 'bathroom' was tiled mirrors.  Weird.  A basin awkwardly placed in the opposite corner with errrr unicorn-shaped hot and cold taps.  What were these people smoking when they decided this?  What kind of weird shit used to go on in this room?  Swingers, we finks.  

Tomorrow more fun in Paris, my new home :D

No comments: