Monday, May 16, 2011

Paris - Fifth Time and Counting

Last night after Hever Castle, Smee, me, the Cuz, the Bro and the Dad all had dinner at Zizzi's at One New Change. We were all pretty happy with the food and nothing seemed awry with my fettucine carbonara but it was a different story at 2am when I had the telltale signs of food poisoning induced gastroenteritis.  This happens to me frequently.  I have a super sensitive stomach.  

Anyway, I recovered to the point of being mobile enough to take the Eurostar to Paris.  Yay!  Trip #5 to Paris was not ruined.  My belief that it never rains in Paris was reaffirmed with the sunny weather which greeted our arrival.  Day One of Paris with the Bro and the Dad was merely just an evening.  Not really having enough time to do anything touristy, we had dinner at one of the cafe in Les Halles.  

I haven't had a bad cuisine experience in Paris yet, but hey, there's a first time for everything.  While picking through my nothing-special salad I found half a cockroach.  Nice.  Half a cockroach.  It was obviously cut cleanly in half with a very sharp knife.  It would've made a nice crunch under the blade.  I wish I took a photo but I think I was too traumatised.  I can't remember the cafe name, but I will know it when I see it next time! 

After I pointed out this dent-in-my-dinner, I was offered a free creme brulee.  I really didn't want it but because none of us could speak decent French and the waiter wouldn't take my fervent head shaking and 'No, no, no' for an answer, he brought it out anyway.  There weren't any cockroaches in the creme brulee and I ate it with an weary and unhappy face.  

At least I didn't get any more food poisoning.  Onwards and upwards from here! 

No comments: