Monday, February 09, 2009

Pink Knitted Hat

The thing about knitting is that there are TONNES of free patterns available online. I got the pattern for my knitted hat from here. I used the same wool as my waffle scarf, so I could have a matching set - yay!

This was my first project using circular knitting needles and a step up from the sewn up hat that I made last year. Man, circular knitting needles are easy to use! Also, you don't get that horrible seam on a sewn up hat! This knitted up fairly quickly as the yarn I used is kinda thick and the needle size was a 6.5mm. I modified the pattern slightly so it was more floppy like a beret rather than a beanie.

Look! I'm using the stitch counters from my knitting accessory kit! *clap clap* Prior to that I was using a mixture of rings and elastic hair bands.

The finished product after blocking (ooh knitting lingo) the hat:

One side... the other side!


Hippy doing a pretty good job at modelling the hat.


How it sits on moi.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how the hat turned out. It's a pretty good project for first time circular knitting and gives you just a slight challenge with the button strap so it's not an overly repetitive knit. It's turned out fairly dense because of the thick wool but that pretty useful for the winter here. Otherwise, once I leave London, I might never wear it again!

No comments: