Saturday, February 21, 2009

Knitted Baby Set

Knitting for me is quite a joy but it is a serious time killer. I'm not quite up to scratch to those who can knit without glancing at their needles and I'm fastidious about ensuring my stitches turn as as regular as possible. It all leads to a well-fitting garment!

The project I've just completed is a baby set for a newborn who will be my first cousin-once-removed. I had to wiki that. The knitting has taken a whole 2.5 weeks. That might sound like a short period but seriously, ALL my spare time was taken up. I even snuck in a few knitting sessions at work. It's the reason why this blog is not up to date and why the house is so dirty. Also, I killed myself pulling an all-nighter last night in order to complete this in time for the baby shower I'm attending.... today!

But *happy sigh* through my sleepy eyes, I am adoring the fruits of my labour. All the bits of the baby set have now been blocked and I have to say, they look pretty good - I don't want to give them away! However, that would be pointless as I am not with child (or puppy for that matter). I understand there's a kind of daggy stigma attached to hand-knitted goods. For that reason I'll won't be upset if the baby doesn't ever wear them ...... so long as my efforts are appreciated :D

Again all of these knitting patterns are free and easily found on Ravelry.

Baby booties! Pattern can be found here.


Baby mittens. No need to include thumbs - too fiddly!


A baby beanie. The pattern can be found only on Ravelry.


A baby jacket. It took about 7 of the 25 days but I really enjoyed making this. My first project which involved picking up stitches which was a bit of fun! Ok, I find weird things fun.


The baby set ready to be given away.

The yarn I used was Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK which resulted in (mind the gushing) lurrvely garments. Also, I've realised it really pays to use a decent yarn as it leads to a much nicer finish on your garment. Duh, obviously. I've done a few practice projects with acrylic and while it's functional, the finished garment just doesn't look as luxurious.

So now, I'm off the the baby shower! *clap clap*

2 comments:

Lynnie said...

awwwwwwwww.......those clothes are gorgeous. you have given me inspiration to actually knit things for my own kid! i'll just have to buy yellow wool until I find out the sex :P

SuBoo said...

Hmm I remember you sending me these pics - they are so so good! I was so pleased with the booties I just made (http://suboo.blogspot.com/2009/08/bootie-call.html) but now they pale in comparison to your entire SET!

There is no way I will be taking up knitting though - I hardly have the patience for sewing as it is.