Monday, February 23, 2009

The shrug - Completed!

Well, I've finally seamed up the shrug that has haunted me over the past two months. I actually finished it about two weeks ago but the baby set took up all my time that I hadn't bothered to blog about it.

I could tell from early on in this project that it wasn't going to turn out how I wanted. But I persevered just so I could see the completed garment and have some idea as to whether I could really construct a wearable piece of clothing.

Here's the shrug sewn up. Yep it's a circular shrug.


How it looks assembled. Looking ok there I guess.


This is how it sits on me with a brooch I bought from Primmy for £1. I bought it just for this purpose!

Anyway, I think the shrug is DISGUSTING. I didn't realise that the mock rib stitch would make the garment so dense. Coupled with the thickish yarn and large needles, the result was a shrug which was heavy and better resembled a blanket. It felt like a thick jacket but with no arms - a pointless piece of clothing and not what I wanted at all!

So.... what to do with a knitted garment you don't want? You frog it! And so I did.

Pulling it all apart and re-balling all my yarn.


All the yarn that once constituted my shrug.

Now that I've got all this yarn (It's quite pretty too - it's got sparkles!) I should decide how it should be reincarnated. I still want to make a shrug but I think this yarn might just look better as a lacy wrap or scarf and hat combo. I think I'll just ponder for a while until I find a pattern I like. Also, I bought this particular yarn for the bargain price of £2.50 a ball at I Knit because it's now discontinued. So I can't go around making stuff willy-nilly or else I might not be able to source this yarn if I need extra!

5 comments:

J said...

aww no.. i liked the shrug.. it looks so witchery

Lynn said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA........the term 'DISGUSTING' is a bit harsh and in the shrug's defence, i don't think the grey jumper you wore underneath it really matched well. I think it may have looked good with a strapless top or something tighter or what about crossing over the front more?? however, i never saw it in person, and you do have excellent fashion sense, so i'm sure you know what you're talking about :)

Pooey said...

no, lynn it was really disgusting. The grey jumper was my pyjama top! haha

i couldnt pull the shrug tight cos of my chest and if i did, it didnt sit properly

it was heavy too and was kinda like carrying an animal fur rug!

i figured i've never wear it so i might as well pull it apart

SuBoo said...

Wow - did you cry when you pulled it apart? I would have after all the effort. Even if I did think something I made was ugly. Which reminds me - you should see this pillowcase I made at the Stitches and Craft show. I don't think they could have given us uglier material!

Pooey said...

Nah I didn't cry. It was heavy and dragging me down. You gotta get rid of clothes/things/people that do that to you! haha No point hanging onto something you don't want.

I'm much happier for the shrug to be turned into something else.