Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tayyabs

Tayyabs is a Pakistani-Punjabi restaurant which has received many accolades but until quite recently remained relatively unknown to wider circles. I'm not a huge fan of curries and the like. I mean I'll eat it if it's served to me, but I never crave it nor have any desire to learn how to cook it. Smee on the other hand loves curry in the same way a fat kid loves chocolate cake, so off we went to try this London establishment.

We arrived about 9pm hoping to avoid it's notoriously long queue. It was a good sign that there wasn't a queue out the door but little did we know that queuing begins indoors and it needs to get to about 20 metres long before it extends outdoors. So we did like the British do and took our place at the end of the queue. It took a good 30 minutes before we were seated. It helped we only needed a table for two as any parties larger than four can guarantee a longer wait.

We had a look at the menu and settled on the following:


Mixed grill of meats. Lamb chops, shish kebabs and chicken. Very, very fresh meats used here.


We also had the bhindi (okra) meat curry. Not too spicy, full of flavour. Me liked it!


No curry can be complete without some naan bread. In this case keema naan and garlic naan. The keema naan was like a lamb pizza! Yummy.


Smee enjoying the order.

We also ordered a jug of mango lassi. For a mere £4 it was hard offer to refuse. Yep, I walked away full and surprisingly really enjoyed the meal. I guess if the food is prepared well, I'll appreciate it! I'm short of being a curry convert, but I am definitely a Tayyabs supporter :D For anyone who doesn't really enjoy curry, you should give it a try.

1 comment:

J said...

oh yes, i had the mixed grill too.. and yes mango lassi was quite good.
I think I'm more a fan of malaysian curries/japanese curries than indian curries.. I find indian curries come back to haunt you in different manifestations depending on your constitution.. Just a personal observation.