Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Strictly Gershwin

I've heard of George Gershwin - 'I got rhythm, some-thing, some-thing, I got some-thing, ne-neh neh neh ne-ne-ne-neeeh...!'

Ok I do know a little bit more than that but admittedly not that much. I know he played the piano and was a modern composer with jazz influences. I know he wrote Rhapsody in Blue though I couldn't recall what it actually was until I heard it played this evening. For those who need a reminder, here you go:

I'm not a fan of ballet. I certainly don't hate it, my hand just doesn't fly up quickly when there are tickets to a performance. Gershwin music with the English National Ballet at the Royal Albert Hall - yeah why not?

Strictly Gershwin for the ballet purists would probably be disappointing. The hall is intended for orchestral performances, not stage ballets. It was huge! It was kinda like looking at an ice skating rink. Good thing that they had some roller-skating folk during the show. The tap dancing routines were good too. The ballet was good, but what would I know anyway.

Did I enjoy the show? Yes, I did. Would I watch it again? No, why would I do that? Though I'd probably go watch another ballet, but it would be one aimed at the masses, like... The Nutcracker.

No comments: