Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Never Forget: The Musical

I never thought that I would actually watch this musical. But you know for a mere £2 (or was it £3?), I'll watch anything. There were more pros than cons, favouring me to watch it. I knew most, if not all the songs that were going to be performed. More importantly, I don't mind the songs and yes, I do quite like some of them! I was one of two people (Hai SuBoo!) within a group of about 10 friends who actually enjoyed it.

Never Forget is a musical featuring the songs performed by British superband, Take That. I actually thought the musical was about the history of Take That but after a reading a synopsis (cos you know, I really needed to research it before watching the show), it has nothing to do with the members of the band.

Instead, the plot centres around five men (strangers) who form a Take That tribute band. They enter a competition in order to win prize money and recover debts for the mother of one of the members who is about to lose her pub. Wow, pretty intense plot eh?

The plot was really just a vehicle to tie the famous songs together as obviously, it was never going to win any screenplay awards. As long as you appreciated this fact, then you could enjoy the show for what it was - a massive cheesefest. It was clear that the cast and writers knew that this was all just a bit of fun and in no way was this intended to be serious.

It definitely helps to be a fan of Take That and if you lived in Britain the late 90s, it would have been difficult to not have heard any of their songs. If you weren't at least familar with the songs, why would you waste 2 hours of your time otherwise? The audience was generally quite enthusiastic and happy to sing along. I wish I could have sat with SuBoo, but instead we bopped in our seats alone, shooting each other happy glances across the thatre. The best bit was the song medley at the end and getting the entire audience to stand up and join in.

It's not a night out for everyone, but I would watch this again if anyone was a dire Take That fan and needed someone who wasn't going to moan and groan in the chair next to them. Cheeeeeeeeeese fest!

2 comments:

SuBoo said...

It was THE BEST!!!

mallymoodle said...

I wish I was there for that :(

I totally would have sung along!!!