Sunday, June 29, 2008

Amsterdam - Day 2

Today was a day to bask in Amsterdam-edness. Or at least attempt to do so before departing its riverbanks. So here I am at Dam Square. A lot like other city squares in Europe.

The Van Gogh museum was a place I did not want to miss and so off we jumped on a tram. It's so great to finally see paintings I'd only ever viewed in books or framed reprints. Is it recommended for everyone? Nah, don't bother going if you've never heard of Van Gogh. Though I do wonder what rock you have been living under. No photography was allowed indoors which was a little unexpected given that a lot of other museums allow it.

Almond Blossom. The painting I liked most out of the ones displayed on print outside the museum.

I did want to visit the Heineken Museum (not that I drink beer) but it was shut for renovations. Boo hoo.

One more time with the frites.... Mmmmmmmmm.... novelty giant frites.... mmmmm

Girls being girls, we decided that shopping was the best way to spend our final hours in Amsterdam. Alright, alright and one last stop at a coffee house.

I think I ate most of this brownie.


I'm not doing anything that is illegal ..... in Amsterdam. Hehehehe


Posing with the canal. Just outside the coffee house. Cultural to the max.

Take my tip. Unless you're a seasoned dope smoker, don't eat 3/4of a brownie, smoke a bit of a joint and go directly to the airport. (By the way, this account of my experience is most definitely not condoning the use of illicit substances.)

It finally hit me while waiting for the train to the airport. The time-space continuum began to distort and everything started moving really sloooooowly. My hearing dulled and all the objects in view had a twinkle to them. My eyelids were heavy. The 5 minute wait for the train felt like 30 minutes. I tried to fight it and pretend all was normal and recall telling the others "I'm so tired". They saw through me like a piece of cling wrap. So I couldn't really enjoy the time because I was too busy being paranoid, fighting the psychoactive effects, trying to hold open my eyes without the assistance of matchsticks in a futile attempt to not look stoned in front of the airline staff. I'm sure they read right through my bloodshot eyes. They must be used to it. Regardless, I have a feeling if I was left alone to enjoy the ganga, it would've had the same depressant effect as alcohol - that is, I'll just fall asleep once I've consumed my limit.

I'm sure there were plenty of other things to do in Amsterdam, like visit the Rembrandt museum and other stuffs, but you know, I was pretty content to just take advantage of the lax laws. Happy to return anytime! *double thumbs up*

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

Ohai stoner pooey!