Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Wimbledon

You know, I really like the tennis. It's pretty much the only sport I'll watch from start to finish. Wimbledon was always on my London to-do list, but the thought of camping in the queue for tickets was not my cup of tea. I've been spoilt; being able to watch live semi finals matches at home.

Yes the Brits like to queue. There's even a 40 page how-to pamphlet for Wimbledon.

It helps to have a boss who is a tennis fan and who has almost guaranteed access to Wimbledon tickets every year :D So imagine me when he said "I've got 2 quarter finals tickets. You want?" Hell, yeah!!! Gimme, gimme, gimme!

I actually thought there was only one ticket available and I would be going alone. Not an issue for me, not like you can have a conversation at the tennis. But on the actual match day I was given two tickets. I was like 'Huh? I thought I was getting just one?' Boss 'Er no, I told you it was two.' Luckily, Bao is unemployed and was more than happy to join me. Yay!

It had been a glorious week but of course the day I went it was overcast and rainy *sigh*. The tickets weren't Centre Court, just Court 1. But I didn't want Centre Court anyway, I wanted Court 1! I could have been viewing any old random match, but it must be fate or something - I was gonna see tennis hottie Marat Safin! *girlish giggles* Who cares about the other matches? I really, really hoped that the weather would clear. Knowing how difficult these tickets are to obtain... to have it ruined by foul weather.. ..... *cry*

The last time I watched Safin play live was at the Australian Open, when he defeated Federer in that legendary 5 set match. Man, that was on the edge of your seat stuff! It also was a match which demonstrated his weaknesses as much as his strengths. Inconsistent serves, breaks in concentration when he's frustrated, stomping on annoying moths. This year, he's really had a good run, killing serious title contender Djokovic early in the tournament. I really didn't expect that.

We arrived to no play on the courts due to the rain - crappy English Summer :(. What to do? Eat strawberries and cream!

They're actually.... not that great.

It's still raining. What to do now? Go shopping!

Bao got a sweat band (yeah cos of all that exercise she does) and I got a strawberry mug (cute!) and much needed visor. No really, it's gonna come in good use for my running in the rain/sun.

After forty minutes of watching the big screen of an Andy Murray replay and not doing much else, we finally heard the announcement that play would begin. Yay!

Safin was playing Feliciano Lopez. Who? Never heard of him. Oh ok, they have played before.

(L-R, T-B) Warming up. The empty scoreboard. My view of the court. As close as my camera can zoom to Safin.

Rain interrupted the first set - argh!!!!!!! Bao and I had a bit of a walkies, posed with the 2008 flowers and then just sat in our seats for the rest of the time - at least we were sheltered.

Play resumed and Safin lost the first set. Boo hoo. Too easily, in my opinon. 6-3 for crying out loud! He appeared distracted.... it was all pointing to an exit from the tournament *grooooaaaan* No, no, no, you can't leave Wimbledon like this!!!! Not after beating Djokovic!

Anyway he won the second and third set - yay! - in typical Marat-style i.e not dominating the court but struggling through with tie breaks to seal the set. Too tense, too tense! It's so stressful watching him play. Sometimes, you just wanna slap him and say 'Just kill 'em already!'. The fourth and winning set (yay!) was pleasingly in his control... yay! 6-3! It was as though Lopez gave up - yay!

The winning scoreboard. Yeah, look, you can't really see it but it's 3-6, 7-5, 7-6, 6-3.

Lopez probably had a bit of a think and decided to cut his losses early, knowing that the semi final would involve a battle against (or annihilation from) Federer. We all know Marat can beat Federer at his best, but I concede that he'll lose the semi. Also, Safin only appears to win crucial matches when me or Moo are around - we are his good luck charms! :D I'm happy that he managed to get this far and his current ranking into the tournament (75) really belies the level of tennis of which he is capable. But you know, if you're gonna leave Wimbledon, the best person to lose to would be Federer.

Here's a good video of match highlights.


Oh, here's the crowd watchign the big screen upon our departure. Murray vs Nadal on Centre Court.

I should mention that there was another match on Court 1 after Safin, but meh, I couldn't be bothered. Players that I didn't care for.

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

Srsly, we are talismans for my hubby. Everytime we're there in person, he wins matches!