Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Alicia Keys

I was pretty disappointed that I didn't manage to get to Alicia Keys' concert when she performed in February. But she's returned with more dates! When SuBoo said she was getting tickets, I said 'Me too!'

I'm not an obsessed fan, but you gotta give Ms. Keys a lotta respect. Writing her own stuff, playing her own instruments, no diva-like reputation. She's definitely a vocalist like Mary J and definitely not a teeny bopper, all-dancing, all-lip-synching fake artist.

Our seats were about as bad as they get, but for some reason on the night we were reallocated closer to the stage. They were still heaven seats and it was pretty much adjacent to the area I sat for Mary J but at least our view wasn't as obscured. Only my personal space was invaded by the beefcake sitting next to me. He was so beefed up, he couldn't close his legs properly.

Our view of the stage.

She sang her usual hits - yep, yep yay! - but I was hanging, HANGING for 'Like You'll Never See Me Again', 'No One' and "If I Ain't Got You'. The concert was going on and on and I kept thinking "Oh when is she going to sing them? When? When? She can't leave the stage without singing them!". She sang 'Like You'll Never See Me Again' and that made me happy. Here's a short video:

What was annoying was that people starting LEAVING long before it was clear the concert was ending. They were leaving mid-song! Wtf, is up with that? And they were leaving from the GOOD SEATS! If you don't want to be there, gimme your tickets!

The one advantage of the heaven seats is that I saw the piano being revealed at the podium closest to the audience. Waiting... waiting... and after some clapping and stamping, out Ms. Keys came again for the two encores. Yay!

(T-B) The piano all alone. Alicia Keys having a chit-chat with the audience. Performing "If I Ain't Got You."

Here are video excerpts. Sorry video quality is quite shite.


For those interested, here's the set-list:
As I Am (Intro)
Ghetto Story
Waiting For Your Love
Where Do We Go From Here
You Don't Know My Name
Teenage Love Affair
Lady Marmalade
Got To Be There
Heartburn
Sure Looks Good To Me
How Come You Don't Call Me
Butterflyz
Goodbye
Prelude To A Kiss
Superwoman
I Need You
Wreckless Love
Diary (excerpts from Tender Love)
My Boo
Unbreakable
Like You'll Never See Me Again
Got to Give It Up
Soul Train
Feeling U, Feeling Me
Go Ahead
A Woman's Worth
Lesson Learned
So Simple
Karma
Thing About Love
Fallin' (contains excerpts from "It's a Man's Man's Man's World")

Encore:
No One
If I Ain't Got You

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

But she didn't sing Tell You Something :(

But still, Alicia rocks! And she can dance!! Which i saw when she did her Diary tour in 2004!