Sunday, June 01, 2008

Race for Life & Sex and the City Movie

Well this is first of several runs I've signed up to as a way of forcing myself to get out and exercise. A group of 10 of us decided to run this year and I must say, it's not easy to get matching outfits for us. Every other person has the same idea and the whole of female London buy up all the pink merchandise out there! Well at least we managed five matching singlets and five matching tshirts.

All the chickies participating. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!


The start/finish line.


The boys and handbag carriers, Kahoons and Mona spot us in the crowd.


I spot them right back and say 'Hai!!!!'


Hang on, is that a pink power ranger running alongside us? Yes it is! There was actually a group of 5 or so. I dunno how they managed in run in all that gear. Sweaty as.

I was pretty happy with my finishing time, somewhere around 38 minutes. Give or take the delay at the start, probably less than this. Yay! The actual run in London city was kinda ick. I mean, starting/ending near the Smithfield Meat Market? And then bottle-necking us at times by making us run through smaller alleys. There are sooooooo many streets they could have picked from and this definitely wasn't the nicest track.

Keeping in with the women's day theme, off we went to the cinema to watch the much anticipated Sex and the City movie. I must admit, while I do like the TV show very much and have the box set within my grasp, I still have not watched the series in it's entirety. I didn't even know that the reason why Aidan and Carrie broke up was because she cheated on him with Big! Hahaha... worst fan ever.

Anyway, despite demonstrating poor fan-ship, waiting for this movie felt like I was waiting to see old friends again. Excitement! I couldn't help but grin when the movie started. :D There were reviews complaining that this just felt like four back to back episodes. That suited me just fine and to be honest, I just wanted to movie to keep on going.

Our adventure to the cinema began earlier in the week when we pre-booked our tickets. I would never usually do this in anywhere but London, but unfortunately that's how it goes here. Annoyingly, allocated seating does not exist, which meant that we had to unearth our asian ways and queue 45 minutes early to order to guarantee prime position. It was a pretty catty wait with the 99.9% female crowd evilling each other if anyone dared to queue jump. Once the barrier was removed there was a mad stampede into the cinema, akin to scenes of a designer handbag sale.

I sat next to Kt who admittedly cries every single time she sees the finale of series. This movie evoked no less of her. She began crying... oh I dunno but quite early in the film. Her crying was contagious, so it made it more acceptable that I became a blubbering mess. Wtf. I cried when Miranda yelled at Steve, when Carrie realised she got jilted, when Charlotte found out she was pregnant, when Charlotte yelled at Big, when Miranda and Steve got back together and maybe some other scenes. Who knows. It was getting a bit stupid with Kt and I sitting together crying. Oh I didn't cry at Carrie's moping in Mexico. Or at any of Samantha's scenes haha.

I think the clothes were a bit hit and miss. Carrie's huge wedding dress was just the pits and what on earth was she thinking putting that horrible bird in her hair? And I don't care what anyone else thinks, SJP is not pretty. Make-up does improve but ..... no, get over it, she is not pretty. Conspicuous attire aside, if she was not famous, I doubt that most people would give SJP a second glance. Just watch a few of her movies before SATC and you'll see what I mean - unremarkable. I did think that the hairstylists were pretty good at getting variation out of Miranda's short hairdo though.

I enjoyed the movie so much, I can't wait to watch it again! Next time without having to prebook tickets. The gripes that other reviews have about the movie bothers me none. It's a movie that would be best enjoyed by those who are familar with the series. Why would anyone who hasn't watched the series bother otherwise? Unless you're a guy wanting to impress your first date.

No comments: