Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Les Mis

A late 'yes' to cheap tickets meant that I was watching Les Miserables tonight. I last saw the musical about 10 years ago while in uni. I was quite looking forward to this production mainly because it's been a long time since my previous viewing.

Cheap tickets = cheap seats and we ended up in the upper circle. Seat H7 to be exact. I felt this view was even worse/more steep than the theatre where Marguerite was staged. I found myself squinting even though I knew it would make no difference! At this angle I was able to see the background staff rearranging the stage and the dead people being 'dead' hehehe.

I do feel my money was somewhat wasted. I detest not being able to view the actors faces clearly when watching theatre. I'll happily go back and watch it again but in better seats. The actor who played Jean Valjean was just excellent. Cosette was ... ok. Eponine was.... ok. For those who haven't seen Les Mis, the entire dialogue is sung which is a little different to most newer stage productions and can be a little off-putting and draining. Still it's one of the world's longest running musicals for a reason, so if you haven't seen, make your judgements after you have.

No comments: