Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Threading

Here's a free advert if you want one. SuBoo, Kt and I went for a group defuzzing session last night at Sajna after I complimented a friend on the state of her eyebrows. It wasn't the best day to venture to South London on the Northern line with our intended station closed and us three having to get off one earlier stop and walk the rest of the way. Whingeing from the non-exercising folk (I won't say who, but you know who you are) resulted.

This was the first time I was having my eyebrows and moustache threaded. Too much info? Well too bad. This form of epilation has always been a fascination to me as I've never had the opportunity to have it done and I don't know of any salons in Oz which do it, though I'm sure they exist. I mean using a cotton thread to remove hair? Wtf?? Anyway, I'm willing to try anything at least once.

Plucking and bleaching have been my methods of choice for the past few years. Waxing eyebrows are fine, but I'd only ever had that done once and have managed to maintain a relatively good shape since. Waxing of the mo is another story. I stuck to bleaching as my last resort. Too many times (okay it was only twice but that is often enough) I have ripped off enough skin on my upper lip to cause it to bleed and scab. Each time someone asked wtf happened to my face,
I had to lie that I scratched myself.

Person: Really? You scratched yourself there?

Me: Yeah, I did. Now go away, you annoying person.

The good thing about travelling out of Zone1/2 of London is that services and the like drop in price dramatically. The bad thing about travelling out of Zone 1/2 is well.... travelling. But for a mere £5 to have both my brows and lip done... it's a hard deal to beat. The services can't be that different but Blink in Selfridges charge
£17 for just brows! I hardly think I would get THAT much better a result.

You get what you pay for. It's a no-frills place that runs like a sausage factory. Go in, take a ticket from the deli-counter ticket dispenser and sit down. Wait for the next available lady to call your ticket number (there are usually 6 or so) and then follow her to the chair where everyone can watch your de-fuzzing.

I'm sure there is some variation in result as some women were holding out for a particular beatician but I was pleasantly pleased with my result. My pain tolerance is quite high and it only hurt as much as waxing. The result last just as long, if not longer. My only worry now is..... finding a threading salon after I leave London!

No comments: