Sunday, November 19, 2006

U2 - The Concert

Excuse me? Are all bands THAT good when live in concert!??!?!?!???

I'm not a humungous U2 fan, but who hasn't heard most of U2's songs? Regardless, I have to admit I was probably undeserving in my attendance given that certain siblings of mine are much bigger fans. Oh well!!!

I was given a ticket for my birthday last year for the original concert in March 2006 (thanks Circle!), however the concert ended up being rescheduled for November 2006. For all those who had to forfeit their tickets, you guys really missed out - sorry!!

I can count all the concerts I've been to on one hand but still, you have to give credit to U2 for an absolutely great show. I guess their music is one of the most suitable for outdoor venues, and in this case, Telstra Dome. Last night, the weather was great, warm but not humid and not a single rain drop fell.

We had general admin tickets and here we are in the crowd with the stage right in front of us. Woo hoo! We were fairly close but too short to actually see people on stage.

We all managed to get there by 6.15pm for a 7pm concert start. However, this just involved a lot of standing around, watching stupid ppl doing the wave and punching beachballs in the crowd. The latter activity was somewhat bizarre and revealed the primitive competitive nature that is within men. I
mean honestly, when the ball the came near, stupid men were jumping all over themselves just to get a punch in. "Kick it to me! kick it to me!" *rolls eyes* Poor SW got punched in the face several times by one particularly stupid fellow in front of her.

Sorry about the poor quality and lack of photos but we were told that no cameras were allowed, hence I had to use my phone camera. What pissed me off was that people managed to bring in cameras anyway despite bag checks!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr


Meme and I.


SW, J and Meme.


Taking another photo. Nothing else to do in the crowd while waiting for the concert to start.

U2's supporting act was Kanye West who came on stage at 8pm, rather than the 7pm start as advertised. I felt a bit sorry for him as he had a bit of difficulty working the 'rock' crowd. But kudos to him! He sang Gold Digger and Touch the Sky and as long as he did that, then I was happy.

Someone on the big screen. Actually Kanye's only back up dancer/singer.


Kanye on the big screen. Ugh, I ain't saying she a Gold Digger!


Kanye gone, now more photo taking. SW and J looking like sisters.

Standing around in a crowd doing nothing is kinda boring and people are so rude. There was this one particular rude couple who pushed through everyone saying 'Excuuuuuuuse me, can I get to my friends' and in the end they parked their fat, tall asses in front of us. They obviously had no friends. The tall, fat boyfriend also spat when he sang and managed to elbow May in the head several times during the concert.

Meme also wanted to add that we had some hobbits behind us, who were gre
at as they truly loved U2 and thoroughly enjoyed piggy-backing each at various times during the concert. Oh and someone inconsiderately farted in the crowd too. Yuck.

U2 finally got on stage by 9 ish and there was a huge roar as they opened up with City of Blinding Lights.

Ok, I actually stole this photo from the Herald-Sun website (as if we were that close) but Bono did appear onstage with an Aussie flag.


I think this photo is of the opening song. Not sure.


Look! It's Bono!


U2 performing 'One'.


Ummm that's a bit of the Australian flag on the giant screen and I can't recall what song they were singing at that point.

This is my poor attempt at taping part of the concert during ' New Years Day'. Try not to have your speakers on too loud as the crowd and static is awful. Oh and if you suffer from motion sickness, it's best not you play it. Btw, that is not me 'woooing' in the background.

I can't remember all the songs U2 sang but I found an obsessed fan's listing of the songs they performed:
(in order)
  • City of Blinding Lights
  • Vertigo
  • Elevation
  • I Will Follow
  • New Year's Day
  • Beautiful Day/Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club (snippet) / Here Comes The Sun (snippet)
  • Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
  • Angel of Harlem
  • Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
  • Love and Peace
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday/ Rock The Casbah (snippet)
  • Bullet the Blue Sky/ When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / Hands That Built America (snippet)
  • Miss Sarajevo
  • Pride (In the Name of Love)
  • Where the Streets Have No Name
  • One
  • The Fly
  • Mysterious Ways
  • With or Without You/Never Tear Us Apart (snippet)/Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
  • The Saints are Coming
  • Desire
  • Kite
U2 were fantastic to watch and it was hard not to get caught up the atmosphere. It would've been really good if everyone who was originally meant to come were there too. :`(

Our night ended about about 11.30, by which we were all starving. After circling the city for about 40 minutes we had supper at Ling Nam and stuffed ourselves with congee, pippies, fried noodles and yam duck. Too much food for that time of night.

2 comments:

JOY said...

Good that you enjoyed the concert!

You were really lucky getting as close as you did.

Bet the atmosphere was electric!

www.limavady2dubai.blogspot.com

Jess said...

Hi babe! U2 sounded great..we so wish we were there with you all! Let's hope they do an Ireland homecoming tour!