Friday, April 15, 2011

Three Bags Full

Before flying back to Old Blighty tonight, Spu and I decided to check out the brunch offering at Three Bags Full cafe.  The reviews are favourable plus we both had a desire to gorge on a massive brunch.  

The cafe was oh-so-coolly situated within the walls of a converted hat factory but the location itself was a bit weird.  I've driven down this street many times having never paid attention to the factory buildings and small Victorian cottages.  I also recall that it was always kinda empty.  Anyway, despite it being a weekday, Three Bags Full certainly wasn't empty and some of the patrons even looked 'worky'.  From where do these mystery work people emerge?  I needed to find out!!!  Upon investigating I discovered that the converted hat factory is part residential and part office building.  Aaaaah, so that's where they come from.  Of course, the other major crowd players are the gentrified, non-working folk living nearby.  
The stools were made of old street signs.  

I like coffee but I rarely drink it.  Today I decided I wanted one.   

Watermelon and something else juice.  I can't remember.  

I had the ricotta cakes with poached fruit ($14.50).  Nice but I think mine were a bit underdone.  

Spuey had the big breakfast which as standard included eggs, bacon, tomato, spinach, cheese kranksy and relish ($17.50).  I told him to add avocado to make it 'healthy'.  I was damn jealous.  I should have ordered this!  Spuey did a pretty job at polishing it off (I helped a little!) and was congratulated by the waiter.  

I'm not too sure why people rave about this place.  Don't get me wrong, -the food was certainly very good, but I didn't think it was anything above and beyond most other breakfast/brunch cafes found in Melbourne like St. Ali and the cafes you find in other inner city areas such as South Melbourne, Brunswick and Camberwell.  Maybe it's just me, maybe I only eat at nice brunch cafes!

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

Hehehe, skinny asians and our expandable stomachs. We rock.

Food looks nums...mebbe I will make myself a fancy brekky on the weekend.