Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Easy Tiger

Mmmm I was out of form tonight and in the rush of leaving the house, forgot to take my camera.  Hence there are no photos to accompany this blog about our dining experience at Easy Tiger.

Tonight was going to be a good night no matter what.  First of all it was a Yetapee Appreciation Society meeting.  All hail the great Yetapee.  Where would we all be without Yetapee?  I wouldn't have graduated from my university degree, that's for sure.  Not only that but I was actually going to physically be in Yetapee's presence along with Mischka, VT and Dr. R - all of whom I hadn't seen in months.  The other thing was that I was going to be dining WITH PEOPLE.  Something I had been deprived of while staying in Rad-City.  

The food at Easy Tiger is South East Asian/Thai influenced and the trendy contribution of 'eating Asian-style' is communal dining.  Or platter sharing if you will.  This ain't new - I've had to share food my whole life!  We happily settled on the banquet between the five of us.

Our dishes comprised of the following:
  • Ma hor (prawn, pork & chicken mince cooked in palm sugar, served on fresh watermelon).  Very tasty bite sized starter.  
  • Seared hervey bay scallop with fermented yellow bean dressing.  Tasty too. 
  • Betel leaf with prawn and fresh coconut.  Very nice too.
  • Coconut and galangal soup with shimeiji mushrooms.  Nice at first but starting tasting a bit too salty halfway through.
  • Son in law eggs.  I like my eggs with a soft yolk and these were definitely runny.  I like runny eggs on rice but I had always thought that son in law eggs should have a slightly harder yolk?  
  • Duck curry - can't recall the details.  Quite nice, I love duck.
  • Beef curry - can't recall the details.  A bit too salty. 
  • Iceberg, witlof and chive salad.  It's iceberg people, it's not exciting.  For some reason the dressing was a bit too salty.  
  • Coconut sago pudding with agar agar, banana fritter and palm sugar sauce.  Well bananas are a premium product nowadays ($12/kg!!).  Yes I did like dessert.  Nothing like a sago pudding to end the night. 
Service was friendly if somewhat a bit superfluous at times.  I'm sure it's a case of the waiter has an instructive spiel which is repeated to all tables but dude, if the dishes have been brought out, if we've already started digging in and if 3.5 out of 5 of us are Asian, there's no need to come over and tell us how to eat rice and curry.  Mixing curry with the rice is like a reflex action.  It was nice of him to not assume though.  Good to see you're doing your job! 

Overall the food was nice enough but there was nothing really outstanding for me.  Some dishes were a fair bit over-salted which left my mouth dry by the end of the night.  It's not enough for me to have a huge whinge but enough for me to take note.

The staff were nice, the food was edible and had it's tasty bursts but I'm feeling quite neutral about the whole experience.  I can sum it up like this: Not bad enough to tell people to avoid the place, but not good enough for me to rave and recommend.  Easy Tiger is not going on my 'must return' list but I'm not averse to eating there again - I'm just not in a hurry to do so.  

No comments: