Saturday, April 30, 2011

Eating Japanese Food in Germany

I am obviously having a busy time in Europe.  London, Dubrovnik, back to London and now in Munich.  I'm not complaining.  This is how life should be lived!  I was in town to lend a hand to Moo at babysitting the Dad and the Bro who are jetting in tomorrow for their big Euro adventure.  

Arriving kinda late-ish in the evening, I had conveniently not eaten (well I had no choice flying on Easyjet) and Moo took me around her neighbourhood to examine our dinner options.  I wasn't too fussed, I was just happy to be an Eating-Playmate.  Moo had been pretty keen to trying out the Jap options nearby but having little time and a psycho bitch for a housemate, she hadn't been able to take advantage of the local restaurants.  Supergut to the rescue!  We went into Kushi-Tei, a japanese yakitori grillhouse/izakaya bar.  You could eat here alone at the bar, but c'mon, skewers are best shared.  

We ummed and aahhed about the menu.   It was very encouraging to see Japanese writing on the walls and hear Japanese being spoken by fellow patrons.  With so many choices available, we must make a most strategic decision.  We picked a set menu each and some sashimi for a starter to curtail Moo's craving for raw fish.  Our waiter was a cutie-pie (not Japanese) who happened to also speak English - yay!  Moo was a bit embarrassed that I said 'Thanks Cutie' within earshot but hey, there's nothing wrong with giving a compliment!  
(L-R) Some pickled veggies to start us off.  Salmon sashimi.  It didn't have the usual 'crunch' of ultra fresh fish but you can't expect much from a city which has no seaside borders.  Panko-crumbed goodness.  Can't remember what foods they were though. 

(L-R) Stuffed capsicum.  Chicken yakitori and zucchini.  Garlic chicken.  All very nice! 

(L-R)  Some blah sushi rolls.  I would have happily sent this back for more grilled goodness.  More chicken yakitori, served with cherry tomatoes and stuffed mushies.  Yum!  Grilled chicken skin.  Yes indeed.  It wasn't on the set menu but the wall menu had tempted us.  We knew it was unhealthy but some chicken chicharron is a rare treat.  Probably never to be had again!  

(L-R)  Moo and I decided this was the Dish of the Night.  Grilled beef.  I can't remember what cut of the cow it was but it was so moist and tender.  Mmmm mmmm.  I've forgotten what was served next to the beef.  Grilled chicken thighs and baby corn.  Ok, we had kinda reached chicken overload.  

Well yes, I was quite surprised at finding some authentic Japanese flavours in the heart of Bavaria.  I haven't stumbled across a grillhouse like this in London but then again, London is quite lacking in decent Japanese food.  I'm yet to try Maedaya in Melbs but now at least I've got a benchmark.  I told Moo she could come back and eat here solo - that's what the bar is designed for!  

2 comments:

mallymoodle said...

I was yarm, ESPECIALLY the fried chicken skin!

Also, Germany has an sea border up north but Munich is down south and so far from the sea :(

mallymoodle said...

Also, I had no issue with you calling him cutie because he was one, just that he'd be able to understand what you were saying. It's not nice when ppl know how attractive they are!