Sunday, April 17, 2011

Smiths of Smithfield

For my first morning after touching down in London, Smee and I went for brunch at Smiths of Smithfield.  This restaurant is actually four level restaurant complex housed in a former warehouse or factory (I'm not sure) and reminds me much of the brunch cafes that have popped up around in Melbourne.  Interesting fact - the guy who runs the joint is John Torode, a former Melbournite!  Smee and I had eaten here before but it was for dinner at the top floor and we were super impressed with the steak.  

Having knuckled Three Bags Full under my belt, I felt I was in a good position to compare how London breakfasts stack up against Melbourne breakfasts.  It's not as though I've never eaten breakfast in London, I've just never had it at a 'nice' place.  This isn't your usual corner shop-truckie-cabbie fry up cafe and the crowd reflects that.  
I had the No. 3 Big Breakfast (~£9) but substituted the black pudding for spinach.   

Smee had a big breakfast too but decided on a more unhealthy option which included chips and a hash brown.  

The obvious difference between breakfasts served in Australia and the UK is the attitude to baked beans.  Despite the colonial ties and accessibility, I've rarely come across baked bean options in an Australian cafe whereas it's always served in London ones.

Anyway the breakfast was good but Three Bags Full was better.  The photos sure give the impression that the food was very tasty but I found my breakfast a bit flavourless and the sausage too salty.  I love a good snag so I was a bit :( about that.  The sausage wasn't very large either and despite being a Supergut, I had difficulty finishing it.  I actually started craving Spu's big breakfast while eating my SOS breakfast!!  Sure the TBF big breakfast worked out to be a bit more expensive than SOS's but the difference is only about $3 and portions were larger (two eggs, two bacon rashers!).  

I guess you can't really draw comparisons between breakfast in London versus Australia but today's minor disappointment just made me realise the awesomeness of Three Bags Full!  I'll still go back and eat at SOS though - it's our local cafe and way better than the truckie fry ups nearby.  

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

It depends on where you go if baked beans are on the breakfast menu or not in Melbs. I know Threshermans used to include them.

However, I suspect they also suffer from not being *cool*