Friday, April 02, 2010

The World Seems a Better Place.....

... when you fly Business Class.  I *heart* not being in Economy. 

Smee and I flew to New York today but with not one, but TWO class divisions between us.  Yay for me!  Nay for Smee :(  We thought that we both booked Cattle Class with the other plebs and were puzzled as to why we weren't able to select adjacent seats using online check-in. 

Turning up to the airport, I got the happy message that I was upgraded.  Meh, I thought, that just meant sitting in Premium Economy.  A little extra legroom, a flatter recline, same food......but nothing to get excited about.  However, I had unknowingly booked a Premium Econony ticket.  So when I stepped onto the plane and found my seat, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was in Business Class!  A flat bed!  A big TV!  Yippeeee!
In the little cocoon which would be my home for the next eight hours. 

Yes indeed, this is the High Life.  No miniature TV screen for me.  Oh and yes, that is a glass of red on my tray table. 

No crappy salted peanuts for me.  No, siree.  I only eat organic macadamia nuts, thank you very much.  The wines are of course, much better too.  I really enjoyed my red so much, I took a photo of the description for future reference. 

I placed my meal order with the waitress, oops sorry flight attendant and settled on the following:
Grilled scallops, salmon ceviche salad and chocolate mousse pannacotta.  Mmm, mmmm, mmmmmm.....

In business class we get real, stainless steel cutlery.  And as noted on my previous business class experience, a table cloth. 

Enjoying the cuisine.  Smee, ever so helpful, assisted me in completing my meal. 

I thought that it was high time that I watch Avatar and began the movie on my appropriately large screen.  About 20 minutes into the film, I fell asleep.  Either the movie was boring or I was far too comfortable lying on my flat bed.  Also, it seems as though in business class, you feet don't seem to swell up that much.  Maybe because they are elevated for so long?  Ahh the mysteries of the comfortable class. 

I do hope I get upgraded on the way back, but I won't hold my breath. 

We touched down in NYC at night and didn't finally check in to our hotel until 10pm.  Given that it was Good Friday, part of me did expect the city to be in shutdown mode, but lucky for us :D we found a Japanese izakaya, Donburi-ya just two blocks away.  More importantly, it was open and buzzing.  I love this f&*king city!

The food was fairly average for NYC standards (we probably won't return for another meal) but hey, I can't really complain as getting a meal nearing midnight on Good Friday would be difficult in any city. 
You can't go wrong with karaage chicken and a warm bowl of ramen. 

Our tummies now happy, Smee and I returned to our hotel for some slumber, ready for tomorrow! 

2 comments:

mallymoodle said...

wai no horizontal pic this time?

Pooey said...

cos smee couldnt take photo of me cos he was sitting two classes away... and i couldnt really ask the flight attendant to do so