Friday, April 09, 2010

Chicken, Museum, Ramen

Smee had told me all about his dreamy relationship with Korean style fried chicken and after seeing an outlet in Koreatown the other night, I really wanted to get my paws on some. Our diet hasn't been the most balanced over the past week but we're on holiday so I figure it's ok to continue poisoning our bodies.  Smee was in disbelief that I insisted on having fried chicken for lunch which puzzled me a bit because he usually is quite the fried chicken lover.

The difference between 'fried chicken' and 'fried chicken Korean style' is that it is twice fried, making it less oily and more crispy. Also, you can get it marinated in the Korean hot sauce which makes it taste unlike your typical KFC. Mmmmm "healthy" fried chicken? What more could I ask for?!?!? It just so happened that we were only a few blocks away from one of these chicken stores - BonChon Chicken on 38th St. It's a sign! I must eat this chicken!!
So happy to be outside a fried chicken store.

It just after midday but there was already a short queue inside and a few customers waiting for their chicken but by no means was it crowded. This was a little misleading because it did not truly demonstrate how terribly inefficient their kitchen was. Despite having a counter, it took about 15 minutes to place our order. While waiting to place our order, two customers demanded their money back, stating that they'd been waiting 30 minutes. Oooooh not good, not good for business at all. Finally the staff had to be realistic and stated that any new orders would have a 20 minute waiting time. That didn't deter me, I still wanted my fried chicken and if I have to wait for it, I will.
The wait paid off! I got my chicken bucket.

 We got the mix pack of hot sauce chicken and garlic/soy chicken. Spicy coleslaw and pickled radish on the side. Healthy takeway food! *looks side to side*

Mmm yes, yes enjoying my chicken indeed.

Overall I would still return to eat more BonChon chicken. However, the ordering/kitchen situation really needs to be addressed because you can't market yourselves as a takeaway fried chicken outlet and have a 30 minute wait time. I understand you gotta fry the chicken twice, but maybe they should make it clear that the chicken is cooked to order.   Customers will be more forgiving if they realise it is not the case of KFC where the chicken is ready-fried-sitting-under-the heater.

Smee and I can't eat all day long - one could disagree - so we headed off to the Museum of Natural History near Central Park. Smee really really wanted to go here because of Ben Stiller's Night at the Museum.
We had already been to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in DC where the sequel was based and needed to check out the original movie's museum in NYC. I didn't mention it, but we were a little disappointed with the Smithsonian. We both thought that it would be bigger and have more exhibits. We were surely not let down today! This museum is HUGE and had heaps more exhibits than either the Smithosonian and London Natural History museums. Fun times peeps, fun times.

The dinosaur in the main entrance hall.

So many animals, so much effort to re-create believable scenes. It was all pretty cool and more cool if they came alive at night! I'm not going to post more photos because it all just looks like pics from a National Geographic magazine.
It's a little unfortunate that people have come to know the Easter Island statue as Dum-Dum. Kids scream 'DUM-DUUUUM!!!' when they see it. But hey, at least it makes the kiddies somewhat excited about history (a most underrated high school subject).
Me re-creating my seagull punching episode.

Smee and the whale. Mmmmm triceratops bones...

Dinner time has to come around sooner or later and keeping with our ramen theme, Smee and I debated whether to return to Ippudo or to try somewhere else. We ended up returing to East Village but went to Kambi Ramen House instead.  The more you try, the more you know is my attitude!
The good thing about Kambi is that we got a seat immediately instead of waiting around for 40 minutes.  It wasn't decked out like Ippudo but was more of a traditional ramen bar with high chairs, small tables and efficient turnarounds. 
I took a photo of the menu as a keepsake.

For entree Smee and I settled on the prawn gyoza, complete with an entire prawn inside.

I can not remember what we ordered, but here are the yummy ramen bowls.  I think the left is the pork/chicken mixed broth Kambi sio and I think the right one is pork broth shoyu.  I think.  I really can't remember.  You might note that the egg is hard boiled.  A bit of a boohoo given how I like them with a soft yolk but at least it was marinated in soy/mirin.
A bit of extra cha shu on the side thanks.

Anyway, both Smee and I were pretty impressed with our bowls.  It is because of our recent experience at Ippudo and Kambi that we no longer rank Men Kui Tei and the other ramen bars from our 2007 trip worthy of returning.  So many more ramen bars to visit, so little time!

Between Ippudo and Kambi, it is a tough choice.  Smee and I made our analysis and pitted the two against each other.  Smee rates Ippudo over Kambi, whereas I'm the opposite.  Smee says that Ippudo's broth inches out past Kambi, whereas I thought they were pretty much on par.  It could very well be that Smee just has a more discernible palate than I.  However, I justify my decision to rate Kambi above Ippudo for a number of reasons.  The broth I've already mentioned, the relatively cheaper price (though I guess in the scheme of things $5 extra can be overlooked) and also the lack of a 40 minute queue.  If I wanna eat ramen, hang out in a bar, be with beautiful, sexy uni students then head out to Ippudo.  But if all I want is a quick and tasty bowl of ramen, without the fuss and won't dent the purse, then Kambi is your place.  Either way, both Ippudo and Kambi are on my hit list! 
Our bowls hanging out by the ramen kitchen.

Smee and I were seated at the bar in full view of the kitchen and couldn't help but admire the chefs awesome noodle-straining style. Watch on to see them construct our bowls!  Num nums! 

Tomorrow, our final day in NYC.  Boo hoo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG...i love ramen!!!

Oh well, this DUM DUM is bigger than the one in Lourve!

fen-fen