Thursday, April 01, 2010

This Is It - Michael Jackson

Well I'm now on the other side of the planet having volunteered to not shower for 24 hours.

I finally got my first ride on the A380 which in cattle class didn't really feel that much bigger but I struck the lucky pot and was assigned a seat which was part of a row of four, however the row in front of us only had three seats.  In other words, I had no seat in front of me!  Yay to extra leg room!  I did cop the envious stares from the 1.80cm men surrounding me and admittedly, I don't need the extra space as much as other but hey, too bad!  Otherwise, it is a spiffy little plane and yes, it is much quieter than the 747s. 

Another perk of the Airbus is that onboard entertainment is waaaaay better with a larger range of movies and it also has touch screen control.  So much easier to pause a film!

Anyway, one of the movies I watched on board was Michael Jackson's This Is It.  I wasn't that diehard a fan to watch it in the cinema and was happy to wait for the general DVD release.  The 'movie' is essentially composed of back to back behind the scenes segments of the rehearsals for MJ's fated London concerts.  If the content revolved around anyone but Michael Jackson, it probably wouldn't be all that interesting.  But........ this is MJ and his music and the documentary had me glued to the screen, bopping along in my airplane seat. 

My first thought when seeing Michael rehearse was "He's so freaking skinny!  He so freaking frail!"  However, in spite of the osteoporotic limbs, I was so surprised to see that those bones could sure move!

Once Michael got into the dancing, he just seemed so much more healthier than what the media purported, though I don't doubt his dependence on certain drugs nor that his health wasn't 100%.  It was hard to believe this was Michael Jackson at 50 years old - it looked just like his heyday, flawlessly executing his signature moves.  He seemed to be on the ball mentally and his perfectionist tendencies and critiquing of minute details were caught on camera.  He really did have a vision as to how the concert should be performed. 

When the concerts were initially announced, I had my doubts that they would go ahead.  Not because he would DIE but rather he was well past his prime and that he would falter in the spiralling style of Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse.  But this footage really kicks that thought out the window.  The back up dancers were hailed from all parts of the world and were cream of the crop.  His hand-picked lead guitarist, Orianthi (all 25 years of her) was ridiculously talented.

Sure, there was a likelihood that some of the concerts may have been canceled anyway but if they ever did go ahead, I get the impression that it would have been awesome!  It's a true shame they never made it to stage.

For even the not-so-big fans of MJ, it is worth chucking this movie in the DVD player and letting it play in the background.  Despite all his health scares and questionable state of mind, when it comes to the crunch, this footage reaffirms that Michael Jackson was indeed the King of Pop.

No comments: