Saturday, April 24, 2010

I've Got Crabs!

The seafood kind, not the 'down there' kind.

With me not being around, Smee had really neglected himself in the seafood-eating department.  We rectified this unfortunate situation this morning with a 4.30am trip to Billingsgate.  With a few peeps coming over for some group eating tonight, it was also time to stock up on supplies.
Here's is my sleepless mug with one of our crabbies, reminiscent of our lobster trip.

Our two pet crabbies. One frothing at the mouth.  I won't get too attached to them. 

Somewhat of an unusual tradition after each Billingsgate trip, Smee and I ate seafood for breakfast.
Pan fried seabass and garlic butter squid and scallops..... mmmm.. so breakfast-y.  

After a well deserved day nap, Smee and I welcomed our guests, ready for a feast.  The night began with an interactive entree - make your own rice paper roll.  Everyone was a little apprehensive about screwing it up, but after my awesome demonstration, the kiddies did Mama Pooey proud.
PF with his fat-ass rice paper roll.  He's lucky it didn't explode.  Temzy so happy with her perfect rice paper roll.  

Enjoying the rolls.  

Onto the mains.  Smee who is always on a food conquest has been wanting to make Chilli Crab for some time now. In preparation for tonight he taught himself how to open the crab, clean it out and cracked the shells ready for frying, saucing and all that stuff.
Not the prettiest picture, but it was sure damn yummy!  We also made sure that the sauce was soaked up with some mantou.  I love mantou.  Smee?  I heat up the mantou now? 

Special guest chef Temzy's sole purpose tonight was to enhance our lives with her spicy squid dish.  Despite eating squid, Temzy has a tentacle phobia.
Temzy doing her best TV chef impersonation.  Temzy can't contain herself while frying away.   

Ta-dah!  Temzy's spicy squid with capsicum and onion, garnished with sesame seeds.  Yum yum yum.  

PF and Sz brought along their shark curry but Smee forgot to photograph it.  Ooops.  As usual, we ate too much and drank a bit.  A good night for all!

4 comments:

PF said...

That food was awesome! And my fat-ass rice paper roll with three shrips inside is the only way to go! ;)

Lynnie said...

I heart your rice paper rolls!

smeeders said...

Its the best!

Anonymous said...

seeing all those cutleries, table, kitchen etc made me miss you all so much and of course my trip there. I definitely miss cuz's cooking and he made chilli crab. Well it would definitely beat the ones in singapore. hope to see you both sooN!

fen-fen