Saturday, April 10, 2010

Last Minute Sight Seeing

Our final day in NYC was spent ticking off two tourist sites which Smee and I had never really explored properly on our previous trip.  The first was Grand Central Station, which was always within walking distance to our hotels. 
Outside the station. 

The main concourse was a little smaller inside than I imagined, but that's not to say it is a small station or unimpressive.... just that the movies and TV makes things look so much bigger! 
Very nice lighting fixtures indeed.  Yes it's easy to forget we are in a train station. 

Another view of the main concourse.  The north end I think.

There's plenty of restaurants and eateries to fill you up including an oyster bar.  It seemed very popular with people already queuing before opening hours.  I was also suprised to see that the Magnolia Bakery also had a little store in the basement food court. 
Mmmmmm .... those long train rides are just so much better if taken with a cupcake. 

There's even a produce market.  You know, where you can pick up your European cheeses. 

For someone who has been to NYC twice before, I hadn't actually walked IN Central Park, only near it and past it.  I know, I know *hangs head in shame*  There was just too much shopping and eating to do!   Smee and I walked the 15 blocks or so down to finally see the 'lungs of NYC'. 
 I'm loving the contrast of the greenery with the skyscrapers.  It's like I'm living in an metropolitan-ecological utopia!!! (Nerd)

 Baseball in the park.  Smee wanted to join!  I wanted to bat a few balls too!  One of the many bridges found in the park. 

The park is the perfect oasis to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Manhattan mayhem.  Despite being quite 'busy' for a park - runners, doggy walkers, team sports, tourists abound - it is quite tranquil in places.  I would so enjoy walking my dog here!  Um.... if I only had a dog.... and er.... if I only lived here.

 We also visited Strawberry Fields which is the site of John Lennon's memorial.  Smee did not appreciate this but then again, he's not much of a Beatles fan. 

Well, we finally had to end our day in NYC and make our way to the airport.  Boo hoo hoo :(  Neither of us got upgraded this time and the only notable thing about our journey back to London was the inflight entertainment wasn't working!

Bubbai NYC!  Don't worry, I'll return again someday!

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

What?! I reckon I hung out in Central Park every day I was in NYC!!

Oh hang on...except for the day I went to Woodbury Common...