Thursday, December 20, 2007

New York - Day 6

Our final day in New York was spent on last minute shopping (I bought a very necessary Nintendo DS - it was half UK price!) and also visiting the Empire State building observatory. The view from the Empire State and Rockefeller Centre don't really differ and in retrospect, we should've only done either one and not both.

But if you're a fan of popular culture and movie references (Elf, Sleepless in Seattle, King Kong) then going up NYC tallest skyscraper is a must. I didn't enjoy the 45 minute queuing and smaller observation decks. Hindsight is knowledge and I suggest that people do the Rockefeller observatory only.
Yours truly in the Empire State Building foyer.

I decided not to post up any pics of the view because they look too similar to the Rockefeller ones.
Ew.. one of the numerous pigeons on the outdoor observation deck.

Next was a visit to Chinatown, where I had pretty much the worst meal in NYC. That was a little surprising given that this Chinatown is one of the largest in the world. I'm sure that it was just bad luck. I had a rice with with three different BBQ meats and while Smee had ordered wontons and dry noodle, he received fried noodles instead. It wasn't even that nice but we understood why people went there - the servings were huge and the prices were cheap.
I miss pork rolls! I didn't eat one though, just in case I ended up with food poisoning.

Dinner tonight was somewhere I would never usually go - Red Lobster. It's seafood for the masses, TGIF-style! I could already predict what kind of style of food was going to appear on our plates. But with my history of devouring seafood, is it a surprise that we decided to eat here?


With a giant lobster out the front and a sign bearing an uncanny resemblance to Red Rooster, how could I not be tempted?!

I tried to find the 'least fried' dish available, while Smee opted for the fluffed Rock Lobster tail. Needless to say, our dishes were enormous, mash was creamy (read fatty) and everything was drenched in butter. Things that were 'grilled' still managed to have that 'fried' in the pan look about them. My scallops were one of the biggest I've ever seen and same goes with Smee's lobster tail.


My scallops, garlic butter shrimp, grilled jumbo shrimp with mash and rice pilaf. Smee's lobster tail - very fluffy. Me gorging myself and Smee's food battle.

It's something I would never do EVER again. But hey, you only live once. Do I also need to mention that I felt sick after dinner? Not vomity sick, just too-much-food sick.

*sigh* Like all good things, our time in New York had to come to an end. Despite the cold weather and giving my North Face jacket the best work-out it's ever had, I would still like to live here! NYC is a city I recommend everyone visit in their lifetime! If I could also be packed inside your suitcase and follow you there, that would be excellent too.

No comments: