Monday, December 17, 2007

New York - Day 3 - Woodbury Common

I'd heard many magical tales about Woodbury Common, an outlet centre located about an hour out of New York. Many wonderful stories, many bargains to collect.

We were advised of two options - a rental car or a bus. Everyone we spoke to agree that the bus was a pain in ass, so we rented a car. Smee was a little apprehensive about driving on the the other side of the road and while we did veer a little to the right at times, all in all, I'm still alive, I got my shopping and that's what matters.

It was nice to finally sit in your own car with the heating on and not have to brave the sub-zero temperatures. We managed to arrive at the outlet in about an hour with few hiccups.
Smee in the driver's seat. Our view from inside the car. Our little PT Cruiser. The snow at Woodbury Common.

Woodbury Common craps all over Bicester! At about 3, maybe 4 times the size, it's easy to understand why people recommend you allow a day for your visit, whereas Bicester can be done within about 2-3 hours. I think Mooey would like it here (hai moo!)

Couldn't resist a picture next to the snow mound and the little gazebo.

Surprisingly, Smee and I didn't buy too much; we had to remain responsible shoppers and not get sucked in to bargains. I was rather proud!

After a relatively early start, we succumbed to our fried chicken cravings and opted for some Popeye's. This turned out to be something difficult. The Popeyes crew member asked us "Do you want brown meat or white meat?"

Smee and I looked at each other, confused. "Sorry?"

"Do you want brown meat or white meat?"

I had heard her the first time; repeating the question didn't make it clearer! Isn't chicken white? I kept thinking she was going to hand me over a deep fried beef steak if I said brown.

The store manager turned around and helped, "Breast or thigh?" Aaaah that made things clearer. I've never heard of chicken meat referenced in such a way before. I guess when you think hard about it, the thigh is a darker meat than the breast.


Our dinner for the night. Needless to say, we didn't feel very healthy afterwards.

Check out how big that can of Grapeade is!

No comments: