Sunday, December 23, 2007

Berlin - Day 1

We jetted back into London from New York late on Friday night. Horrendous as usual, our plane landed early but sat on the tarmac for 40 minutes while the plane waited for an available gate.

I slept all day yesterday until about 5pm. I'm a slob. Then woke up to pack for my Berlin flight, which was departing today but about 1.5 hours later than the rest of the Circle.

Well, Berlin - Day 1 didn't really happen for me. It was more like 'My Boring Adventure at Heathrow'. I spent 5 hours in Heathrow airport and about 4 of that was spent in a queue that stretched from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2. Awesome.

Every year, there is airport passenger chaos at Christmas when the mass exodus from London is compulsory. Every year there is a Christmas fog which ruins everyone's plans and they all become trapped at the terminals.
The tips of the Canary Wharf skyscrapers where everyone works.

Luckily for all the others going to Berlin, their flight was merely delayed, whereas mine was cancelled. I was forced to join the never-ending queue and re-book my flight. It was hilarious to see every newcomer's 'wtf??!?!' expression as they joined the ridiculous conga line.

People were crying and getting angry at the Heathrow staff, while others were making friends in the queue. I happily played my Nintendo DS. I didn't get any smarter though.

The couple in front of me managed to rebook their flight for the next morning over the phone about half an hour into waiting in line. When they finally got to the front 3.5 hours later, they were told
all flights to the Europe continent were cancelled for the rest of the day and that given they had already managed to book a flight for tomorrow, they could go home. They waited for nothing! NOTHING!!!

BA managed to rebook me for a flight the tomorrow at 7am in business class. I queried having a nearby hotel put me up for the night but no joy - they didn't have enough and were reserving them for those in transit. The staff member did offer the option of staying at Heathrow overnight to which I pictured myself giving her the finger.

I did the only thing I could do, take the 1.5 hour journey back home on the tube. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mike the hottie.. mike the hottie... i'm waaaaiting...

Anonymous said...

you are too hilarious pannie! I have a stitch from HAHAHAing