Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Big Apple - Day 2

Today was a shopping day so few touristy pics. Our appetite for ramen was whet from last night's dinner and Smee and I were more than happy to have a second round. We had noticed a modest noodle bar near A&F and were keen to try it out. Unlike last night's Momofuku, Larmen New York (Men Kui Tei) had Asians patrons - a clear sign that something must be right!

While I've read some mixed reviews, there seem to be more positive than negative. For out visit, it was all positive! Yum yum!! While you could argue that they didn't have enough supplementary toppings, I think for a simple, no-nonsense ramen with a deep broth, this was definitely better than Momofuku. This would become a regular haunt for me. An added bonus - they also have two other stores in New York, one here and the other on 151E 49th St, between Third and Lexington Ave.

Outside the noodle bar and our serving of cha shu (Japanese Char Siu).... mmmm fattiness adds to the flavour....


I had the Tonkotsu ramen (pork bone cloudy soup) while Smee opted for the Shio ramen. YUM!!!!

The Rockefeller Centre Christmas decorations. We had to interrupt our shopping for the obligatory photos.

Me so happy to try on boots! I bought them, just in case anyone was wondering.

Nearby the Rockefeller Centre was the NYC branch of Minamoto Kitchoan - I'd forgotten that one New York had one too! Some of you may remember the last bit of this post (or maybe none of you will) whereby I indulged in some goodies. I nearly started skipping on the spot and clapped my hands when I saw this store! Hehehe
Almost exactly like it's London counterpart, it was filled with delicious mochi balls and the like. Even better was that prices were US dollar for British pound. Why is that everything in the UK is double the price of nearly everything in the US? There is no justification behind it. Alright, so Smee and I went a little nuts.

All our goodies, in and out of the bag.


(L - R, T - B) Fukuwatashi senbei - mmmm vanilla waffle cookie
Macha manjyu - Green tea mantou
Hakuuno hotori - White bean paste cake
Kurimanju - I've forgotten what this was
Kohakukanume - mmmm plum jelly, with a real plum!

Now for the piece de resistance.......
So nicely packaged, it was a shame to unwrap it but we couldn't wait to eat our Maccha Choco Daifuku - soft white chocolate wrapped in an even softer rice cake, showered in green tea powder.
I COULD EAT COUNTLESS BOXES!
I am rather tempted to buy these in the London store.


You know, the best bit was the white chocolate surprise centre that melted in your mouth. They also came in a chocolate flavour but we decided to behave ourselves.

Smee and I completed our shopping for the day. I guess I should blog dinner as well, however that extremely disappointing after eating all our snacks. Let's put it this way - we couldn't find good pho in Chinatown.

No comments: