Saturday, May 17, 2008

Paris!! Again!! Château de Versailles

The main reason for going to Paris again was to see the Palace of Versailles, the former residence of many Frenchie royals and as high school taught me especially so, where Marie-Antoinette lived. If I left Europe without seeing Versailles, I would somehow claw my way back here just to tick it off my list.

Moo and I had to stay in separate hotels as my latching onto her trip meant that I would need to sleep on a floor, which hmmm I did last time and wasn't too keen on doing so again. Whilst my hotel
had that old Parisian charm and it's proximity to the President's residence and the Champs was enviable, the bath-only arrangement was just weirdly inconvenient. A handheld shower head was present but it was of little point when there was no shower curtain, nor a shower head holder. I think they were hinting to me to take a bath.

Having our French not-sure-how-we-are-related-so-we'll-call-you-cousin with us proved super helpful as his ticket ordering skills were put into use for getting our train/chateau combined tickets.

Moo enjoying the cupcakes from yesterday. Yes, cupcakes for breakfast.


The entrance gates to the Chateau. Imagine horsies pulling royal coaches to the palace! *neigh!!*


Posing with the Moo cardboard cut-out.


This was pretty much the view most of the time inside the palace. Hmmm... interesting.


Moi in the Hall of Mirrors. This is what I really wanted to see. Too bad it was ruined by the presence of other tourists (including myself!). It would've been very sparkly in it's heyday.

Having already been to Schonbrunn in Vienna, Versailles reminded me much of it's Austrian equivalent... but yeah, of course, duh, because Schonbrunn was modelled on Versailles... duh.

Umm, I think that is Marie-Antoinette's bed (otherwise I have no idea why I took that photo).
Of course, the grand gardens and fountains for which Versailles is famous.


Rowboats on the water. Marie Antoinette's hangout, Le Petit Trianon which was unfortunately closed for renovations :(


Lunch was at a nearby cafe where dear Frenchie cuz recommended we have apple cider in a bowl. Supposedly a French thing. Maybe he was pulling my leg. My crepe with.... stuff in it.

The rain signalled that it was time to leave. So bubbai to Versailles!


Moo and I had dins near her hotel, Cafe Hugo. I had a nice glass of Rioja and Moo had a nice steak. Food was pretty good, I would go again! It seemed popular with the locals. Service, was not bad, but the cramped seating certainly didn't help.

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

I have to make a comment about the fact that I am once again impressed that the sidings they used to cover up the scaffolds during restoration work was a picture of the wall they were restoring.

That is effort.