Monday, May 26, 2008

Salzburg - Werfen Ice Caves

Before I start this post I should include one more photo in relation to yesterday's Sound of Music tour. Here it is:

Queen of Cheese!


I totally forgot this scene and it was only because of the 24/7 Sound of Music channel did I remind myself to get my ass back to Mirabell Gardens to punch the air.


Oh look a trolley bus. This is what happens when a tram and bus procreate.


Now for the musically inclined - Mozart's house. Yay. J and I went inside and decided we weren't interested enough to pay the entrance fee.


Oh look, The Sound of Music cow. Curry wurst snack to fill me up before my icy adventure. Hmmmm sausage....

Today I ditched the rent-a-parents and their little offspring, Jade and ventured alone to the Werfen ice caves. Alright, I didn't really ditch them but the tour involved some steep hill walking which just wasn't favourable. I was quite looking forward to seeing the caves. Not for any particular reason though - it's not as though I love the cold, snow or anything of the sort. I think it was just a case of 'Cool! I'm going inside a cave!'

Our guide was of all nationalities, an Aussie! Not an Austrian Aussie, but an Australian Aussie. Wtf. I was a loner on the bus but hey, that meant that I had a spare seat next to me the whole time. Though it is a bit bleah having to ask people to take photos of you. Now the thing about the weather today in Salzburg is that it was a glorious 28-29 degrees. Not really the day to be wearing my ski joggers and carrying my puffa jacket.

Once the bus brought us as close as his little wheels could take us, we climbed a short steep incline to the cable car which would transport us to.... another steep climb. My hamstrings did burn a little but it was a good "I'm doing exercise!" burn.

The view from inside the cable car. Yeah, not great with all those people in the way. The alternative to the cable car is a 90 walk up the mountain. No thanks.


Eeeep! The view to the entrance.


Seriously the view was just ... wow...

I'm here! Yes I asked a fellow loner to photograph me.

While walking up the mountain, I did wonder why were explorers coming all the way up not just any old mountain but this particular one? Oh well.

Waiting for the people in the cave to exit, so we could have our turn.

Our tourguide was a local and I dunno, maybe a bit jaded about taking tourists into the cave. He kept getting tetchy about things. Hmmm all the information guides claim that photos in the cave are not allowed but that obviously that isn't true. Our bus guide TOLD us to take photos but just do it when the cave guide has stopped the group.

Oh and these photos lie - most of the time the cave was pitch black except for the gas lanterns that were held by every 4 person. Every once in a while the guide would light up a piece of magnesium to highlight the indoors scene.

Purdy natural ice sculptures highlighted by the lit magnesium. Hmm.. ice lines, kinda like tree age lines. An ice sculpture which kinda looks likes a bear? Elephant?


The stairs which needed a-climbing.


Yes I begged a fellow tourist to photograph me with the gas lamp.

Exiting the cave was pretty kewl. The cold air indoors meeting the warm air outdoors caused a strong wind thrust which propelled us out of the cave. Kinda like a big cave spirit saying 'Get out!'.

We then treated ourselves to a snack on the mountain restaurant and enjoy the view.

The tour stopped by the castle which was used for the movie Where Eagles Dare. Too bad I'd never heard of the movie and didn't appreciate it.

Our day ended with a delayed flight *whine*. But at least I got to drink my Almdudler and Manner wafer.

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

Awww poor lonely Pooey. Now you know how I felt in Paris waiting for you-la.

Mmmmm, manner wafers!