Sunday, May 25, 2008

Salzburg - The Sound of Music Tour

Today is a special day.... THE SOUND OF MUSIC TOUR!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!! The silly thing is, I'm not even a huge fan of the movie. That might sound a little bit unbelievable given that I watched the stage version in London. I mean, I enjoy the movie as much as the next person. It's a pleasant thing to have on the TV in the background and Rodgers and Hammerstein surely ticked the funky song box but ... I'll never profess to LOVING the film. I think I just like it a lot. Just 'a lot' as opposed to 'A LOT'. Not 'don't-change-the-channel' type of 'a lot' but more like 'oh-I-was-channel-surfing-and-it's-on-tv-for-the-umpteenth-time-but-I'll-leave-it-on-this-channel-for-now type of 'a lot'. I think my excitement also stemmed from the touristy photo opportunities. Hehehehehehe.

Believe it or not, our tour (which was the 'Official Tour') did not include a frolick on the mountain. Our guide said that was in Germany. But really, they could've taken us to any mountain and told me otherwise. Happy times would've been had.

Our tour also excluded a walk around the famed Mirabell Gardens where parts of Do-Re-Mi was filmed. I was a bit miffed at that. What kind of half-baked Sound of Music tour doesn't take you into those gardens? Luckily, J and I had already planned for a little self-exploration in the gardens before the tour and I could finally execute my secret agenda of recreating some of the Do-Re-Mi scenes. I should also credit the following screencaps as they're obviously not mine.


Mine and J's attempt at the scene. I curse my lefthandedness!



Soooo/Sew - a needle pulling thread!



Running through the hedge tunnel. Other people wondering wtf is up with these two asian chicks.


One of the statues they danced around. I can't even remember this scene.


Oh, I was here yesterday! See my previous blog.


After the reenactment but before the tour we had a snack (read: cake) at Cafe Tomaselli.


Our unashamedly touristy bus.

I was quite disappointed that our guide was not the female one who wore traditional Austrian clothing. Another gripe - the actual sites were not that close to each other and so to keep us entertained during the drive they had ...... nothing! There were TV screens on the bus, so they should've played the movie while transporting us!

Me and my bus!


The rear of the Von Trapp residence. Me ruining the photo just to prove to everyone that I'm there!



The boulevard where the Captain saw his kids in the trees. My bad attempt at climbing. I can't shut my mouth cos I was too excited.



The front of the Von Trapp residence. No, the bus didn't stop.

Next was the purpose-built pavilion, where the song 'Sixteen going on Seventeen' was performed.



Oh there goes the teenage couple!


The pavilion was locked. *sulk* My little pose elicited a giggle from fellow tourists. Me no care - must make the most of opportunity!


The church where Maria and the Captain were married. It was located in some other town.



Oh look, here I am waiting for the bride to arrive.


Before getting back on the bus, were given free time to do whatever we wanted. So I had an apple strudel with custard. Mmmmmm.... healthy...

We all got a little 'bonus' souvenir - a pin with a picture of Edelweiss. Cute! Supposedly they used to give the seed but it's kinda difficult to get it nowadays.

For dinner we decided to hit the Mullner Brau beergarden, which I do have to say was probably the nicest beergarden I've been to. Though I haven't seen many - I can count them all on one hand. But I could see how lurvely it would be in the height of Summer. It wasn't easy to find this place and a long walk down an empty corridor wasn't reassuring but once we reached the beergarden it was like we discovered a secret! *clap clap* It was full of locals and clued-in tourists alike, drinking stuffs and eating stuffs.


Our dinner - roast chicken (always a favourite), potato dumplings on sauerkraut, cold vegies in a vinegar pickle (not that nice, I was thinking that I could run into tummy probs) and a pretzel.


Me and the big beer barrel. Yeah.

Tomorrow, the longest ice cave (maybe) in the world!

2 comments:

SuBoo said...

HAHHA I am cracking up because I have pretty much the same set of photos - the only difference is the 2 Asian chicks - and we all look the same anyway :D

mallymoodle said...

Omg, I soooooooooo should be there!!!