Sunday, May 04, 2008

Barcelona: Day 2

Day two in Barcelona started off with a quick jaunt to Parc de Montjuic to view the Palau Nacional, the nearby museum which I mistook for former palace grounds. Nope, nothing to do with a palace here.

This is where the Asian Camera Gang executed their attack.

How embarrassing. Dammit, I got caught in a Chinese Camera Stance!


The Palau Nacional, before and after Asian Gang attack.


The view of grounds from the building.

We didn't bother to go in; no-one was particularly interested in being indoors while the Spanish sun bathed us. Barcelona was fast becoming one of my top cities. The relaxed vibe, the sun, the shopping strip, the sun, jamon... the sun!

Barcelona from the viewing area. You can just make out the Sagrada Familia.

We decided to next take the teleferic (cable car) up the Montjuic which is I dunno, the main mountain in Barcelona. You realise I did little research for this trip.

You kinda forget that maps have their limitations and can't represent the gradient of a mountain properly. So with varying levels of fitness, we made our way through Parc Montjuic to the cable car.

I saw a lovely aged, curly tree on the way. Kt showed us how fit she was.


Yah, that's the cable car and the view from inside.

At the peak of Montjuic was a fortress, the not so imaginatively titled Castell de Montjuic.

Outside the castle. Inside the castle. I could put a whole heap more photos but it just gets boring seeing snapshots.

The funicular was the choice mode of transportation to bring us down from the summit, after which we invaded a local bicycle hire. Me being the shittiest bike rider on the planet wasn't too keen on the whole idea but you know, you gotta take one for the team. I'm glad to say I survived the whole ordeal without killing myself or anyone else. Only barely so... But I am rather upset that my favourite flats I bought from Paris last year got caught on the pedal and now have an unsightly hole. :(

Barcelona is a bike city but it seems they do not supply enough bike stands. We made the best of a bad situation and piled all our 8 bikes onto one pole and 4 bike chains. Hmmm... ingenious!

We had ridden through the bustling La Rambla and found ourselves at Barceloneta beach.... the beach!! I don't have the affinity for beaches that is expected of Aussies but after being in the UK and seeing the unsightly pebble beaches on offer, you learn to appreciate sand in all forms.

Oh hey that's a cool structure. L’Estel Ferit - The Wounded Star. Me being well, me the tourist. The others enjoying the view in a less conspicuous fashion.


Yes, now J and I must dip our feet in the water.


After returning our bikes in exchange for the Metro, we met the largest vending machine ever.

Post resting and dipping in the hotel pool, we revisited the base of Montjuic for the nightly musical fountain show before the late din dins. My faithful little camera demonstrated it's age and limited capability of capturing any worthwhile images but here goes...


The fountains of Plaça d'Espanya with the Palau Nacional in the background. Quite purdy.

Sunday night seemed to be the exception for late meals, either that or something was terribly wrong with our chosen restaurant, El Nou Ramonet which was almost empty upon our arrival. Needless to say we were fawned over by the courteous staff.

Fish samples on display.
Heeeeeeeerrrrrreee fishy fishy fisheeeee!!! Only a select few people would get that, so for those who don't check out this youtube clip...

I guess I can't call myself a Spanish/Catalan food critic - wtf would I know really? But the food here was delish! Our meal was accompanied by red and white Sangria and you know, me luvs the Sangria. Tonight was also the night where RN the Viet showed us what a real Chinese Burn was. There's another version? I'm quite resistant to the twisting arm kind, it's quite alleviating when you have itchy eczema. RN's pinching and rubbing version actually hurt!

Paella to share for starters. My monkfish with garlic sauce... mmmmmmmm so yummy... I definitely would return for this dish!

*sigh* Content stomachs and slightly tipsy, off we returned to the hotel, but not before taking this shot.

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrre FISHY FISHY FISHY FISHY!!!!!