Monday, May 07, 2007

Vienna - Day 2.....Wieners Rule!

Alright, are you ready? Ready for an excessive number of photos??? If not, you'd better stop now.

Day Two in Vienna was a bit dreary despite weather predictions of no rain. However that did not dampen our spirits and we managed to get of bed before 10am! I know that doesn't sound too impressive but considering that I usually get up at 1pm on weekends, it really did hurt. Really.


Ever the tourist, me indulging in a travel guide.


Errrm, some street in Vienna.


I found a little Bao!

One of the goals for today was to eat an Austrian hot dog/Wiener/wurst/kransky/frankfurter. Here is us achieving our goal, step by step:


Step 1: Get Smee near the Kasekrainer in Hoher Markt.


Step 2: Get Smee to order a few snags.


Step 3: Ensure that the Austrian lady does not curse our food.


Step 4: Ascertain that goods have been received.


Step 5: For guaranteed enjoyment, get some Cannibis Ice Tea on the side.


Step 6: Admire the beauty that is The Wiener, so snug inside it's bread roll home.


Step 7: Pose.


Step 8: EAT!! Mmm mmm much better than any Wendy's hot dog. This makes great post- clubbing/drink binge food.


Step 9: Errm, photograph the first bite.


Step 10: Wash it all down with a Weed drink.

I already did a song and dance about Vienna being a dog-friendly city. Here are two canines outside the Burberry store. The big labrador soooo wanted to make friends with the shy chihuahua.

Next tourist trap was the Hofburg Palace. No, The Hoff never lived here - he's German!

The Hofburg also included the National Library with some uber-cool step ladders and very tall shelves.

Ooh a secret room behind the shelves. Alright, it wasn't that secretive.


The Prunksaal (Hall of Honour) in the library. It's a shame we could only take photos sans flash.


Next, a stop by a fountain in Neuer Markt.

By now, Smee and I had the nibblies. Time for another hot dog we say!


Another hottu doggu stand, this time off Kärtnerstraße.


Me and two wieners.


Same same.


We tried to make "Eat a Wiener at all Landmarks" theme but we devoured them too quickly.

Now after some food, what do people need? A drink! One should not leave Vienna without visiting one of their coffee houses. Here's Smee with his ice coffee.



My pretty Viennese coffee.


Yes, well I wasn't particularly hungry but I HAD to have an Apfelstrudel. I was not leaving Austria until I had one. This particular one was served with a light vanilla cream, which had the texture of a runny custard. YUM!!!!


Me having my way with the delightful Apfelstrudel.

What to do next? We had overfilled our stomachs and it was far too early in the day to go home. Thus a visit to the Schonbrunn Palace was necessary.

Although, I have yet to visit the Palace of Versailles, I'm sure it would be much grander than Schonbrunn. Nevertheless, it's still a very striking palace.


Just within the front gates.


Damn mainlander tourists and their camera stance. Tai Chi Mode.


Squatting mode. Does your photo really turn out better when you do that?


Far too many photos.


Part of the gardens.


The stunning Gloriette at the top of the hill within the gardens.


View of the back of the palace from the Gloriette.

I *heart* The Gloriette.

After the climbing to the top of the Gloriette.


I'm so freaking artistic with my mediocre 4megapixel camera.

We wandered the rest of the grounds, through the maze and found the viewing platform but gave the zoo a miss.


The day is not complete without a silly shot.


Me with my powerful umbrella musket.

Back onto the Kärtnerstraße where we watched a busker with her piano. Buskers are on a whole new level in Vienna given the strong musical ties.


I wonder how she pushes that piano home.

Night drew near and it was time to contemplate dinner. We ended up in the Bermuda Brau, an Austrian pub.


Smee had cordon bleu this time.


But he got rather upset after seeing my braised steak with mushrooms and 'dumplings'. It looks a mess but it was so yummy.


Smee and his Viennese Ottakringer beer.



Smee had a bit of difficulty finishing his Ratler (beer and lemon juice) so I had to help.



Who's a drunk punk?



Finally, the end of the day. Outside our hotel.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Babe - those mainlander tourist pics cracked me up! Rofl!!!!!