Sunday, May 06, 2007

Vienna - Day 1

I am somewhat embarrassed about the number of photos Smee and I took on our Vienna trip. Errrm, the total was approximately 500. My rationale is that there has to be some nice photos somewhere in the 500 and I can always delete the ones that either 1. feature my gut or 2. feature my double chin.

Anyhow, getting up at 4.45am for our flight was no easy feat. There was a long weekend in London and all the Circlites were making their various trips around bits of Europe. Coincidentally we ran into Leesh at the airport. We didn't even realise we were taking the same flight! She was going to Zurich and we to Vienna via Zurich.


Leesh - far too cheery for the morning. My shitface says it all. Sorry Leesh.


Smee not faring too well either.

Vienna is a pleasant city. The people are so friendly and nearly everyone owns a dog. People walk them everywhere in the city centre. The trams and trees remind me of home and there's a part which looks identical to St. Kilda road.


Smee on the Airport-City train.


Me doing the same. Haha

We met up with Smee's colleagure, who kindly gave us a quick tour of the city and helped get our bearings right. She also took us to her university where we had the BEST SCHNITZEL ever!!! I know that's a huge statement but this was the nicest schnitzel I've ever had!! Smee and I were starving after our flight but this down to earth student pub had the yummiest smell. A layer of mushrooms, cheese and bacon is placed on top of the cutlet before it is crumbed and fried. All this makes for a succulent meal. YUMMMMEEEE! Alright, I've written too much about schnitzel. *sigh* I wish I took a photo.


Mmmmmmmmmmm Wiener Schnitzels..........


Some bridge.


Smee's turn at the bridge.

Smee and colleague.

A tram! They didn't really ding ding.

Not so surprising were the number of hot dog stands in Vienna. Mmmm mmm mmm couldn't wait to try them out!

Smee at one hot dog stand at Schwedenplatz.


Yours truly at another.

Vienna's central landmark is the Stephansdom, a gothic-styled cathedral. It's noice... and black from all the soot, but that gets cleaned up every so often.



Nearby the Stephansdom is the main shopping district, Kärtnerstraße. Smee and I happened to stumble across a street festival. Not too crowded to the point that you start to get shitty but lively enough.

Yep, each of us posing with a monument devoted to the Bubonic Plague.


Cant have a day without smut.

Some horsies outside Stephansdom.

Strudels and tortes galore!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Being of asian descent, I can not deny my affinity to asian restaurants. Mr. Lee's in Vienna. I'm sure the food is crap.

Finally for dinner Smee and I settled at Wienerwald. We now realise it was a restaurant chain accessorised similarly to TGIF's. Food was Austrian but nothing to write bloggies about. The schnitzel Smee had was disappointing. My cordon bleu was similar.

No comments: