Thursday, January 11, 2007

The National Gallery

The bad thing about the National Gallery is that no photography is allowed indoors. Hmmmph. I could just sit here and type the paintings' names but I'm gonna do my best to hunt down images instead.

Anyhoooooo, to go to the National Gallery does require minimal appreciation of the arts. It would help to at least be familiar with names like Rubens, Caravaggio, Monet and Renoir. I won't even bother mentioning the ubiquitious Da Vinci and Michelangelo because the total number of their paintings was less than 10. If you have no idea about art, I would actually recommend that you stay at home, otherwise it might as well be a tour of building with paintings inside.

The gallery is located at Trafalgar Square. Yep, if you ever see pics of Trafalgar Square, the gallery is the building in the backdrop. If you know me very well, you will know that I have a mysterious disgust for birds - unless it's Nandos or KFC. I especially detest seagulls and pigeons. I think it is partly because they don't really fear humans anymore and they always fly close. Ugh!! Trafalgar Square is full of pigeons! I agree with the 'rats with wings' description.


Trafalgar Square from the front of the gallery.


This tiger wasn't very helpful at keeping the pigeons away.


Another pic of Trafalgar Square.

Again because I was alone, I took an audio tour. It was much more interesting to have someone telling you stuff about the painting.


Me and my headphones, looking much perplexed. The lady at the audio tour desk, who took this photo thought I was weird. Hehe

I was in much awe again, mainly in disbelief that I was finally seeing such pieces of work after many years of only being able to view them in textbooks and postcards. I AM A NERD. These works included The Virgin of the Rocks, The Arnolfini Portrait, Belshazzar's Feast, The Supper at Emmaus, The Ambassadors (wow! the distorted skull!!!), Monet's Water Lily Pond, Van Gogh's Chair and Renoir's Umbrellas. There was more but I can't be bothered finding more images.



After my three hour wander, Trafalgar Square at dusk.

A big thumbs up for the National Gallery from me. Now, I still have yet to vist the Portrait Gallery and the Tate Museums.

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

Hooray for cultured pooey!
P.S. Tate Britain has a really good cafe.