Sunday, September 10, 2006

Shooters, Dreamworld and Bowling

I had some friends from Sydney come up and visit me here in the rainy Gold Coast, hoping to catch some UV exposure. Little did they know that the weather has been rather shite.

I took very few pics cos I left my camera at home, hence for all you children's books readers out there (you know who you are), you might as well stop reading now, as there will be few photographic moments (but then again, you probably don't read my blog anyway).

After a late Saturday night arrival, we headed into Surfer's Paradise in search of a bar. We found "Shooters" which was recommended by a friend of a friend of a friend as a 'fob' bar, full of those of Japanese ancestry. There was no queue, which was semi-promising. However once we reached inside, we realised we must've been there on R'nB Surfer night. Not my usual bar crowd but a Long Island ice tea fixed that right up.

Anyhow, we didn't stay long and the highlight of the night (all 2 hours of it) was sitting in a massage chair. I will SOOO buy an OSIM chair when I can afford it. I kept complaining that the music was so loud, which just reiterated that I'm getting too old for this.

On Sunday, we stuck to our original plan of going to Dreamworld, despite all weather reports pointing to thunderstorms. My last trip to the Gold Coast was about 10 years ago (my god, a whole decade) and while I don't remember much of my last trip, I don't think much has changed apart from the inclusion of the Big Brother house and Wiggles world. That didn't tickle my interest at all.

We rode most of the thrill seeker rides, which I thorougly enjoyed despite ageing about 10 years after my first 360 degree flip on the The Claw. The best (but shortest) ride of the day was the Giant Drop, which involve being leisurely taken up a 39 storey-tall tower, then waiting, waiting.... more waiting and then suddenly dropping 120 metres. I guess this is as close as I will get to the feeling of committing suicide from a very tall building. Except that I was smiling on the way down.

The rain kicked in at about 2pm and since we were already wet, there was nothing holding us back from all the water rides. We also watched a Tiger Island show and while it is a little cruel to watch wild animals do jumping tricks, tigers are just very cute, giant puddy tats. Hehehe

The night was capped off with a trip to the bowling alley. I'm not sure what's wrong with my bowling arm as I only managed to score 80 on my first game and 74 on my second. Tsk tsk, disappointing.


Bowling scoreboard.


Me, AW and JT.

No comments: