Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Moshi Moshi!

Well, it was a little overdue but I finally encountered my first Gold Coast 'let's-mistake-the-asian-girl-as-Japanese' incident today. Nothing too exciting really. But I'll paint a picture anyway. And try to make it as exciting as possible. Just for all the readers out there. Which total to a number less than the fingers on my left hand........excluding my thumb.

I was enjoying my chicken schnitzel and coleslaw sandwich in the food court after seeing a record number of 80+ year olds. It's days like that which make me wish I had a different job. Whilst staring into the mid-distance, halfway through a chew, I notice a 20-something caucasian male kneel down beside me. Just as I give him a 'wtf-are-you-doing-oh-shit-you're-going-to-steal-my-handbag' sideglance, he blurts out "Moshi moshi!" and some other japanese phrase.

While still holding my sandwich to my face, I say (with a surprisingly deep voice) "I'm not Japanese". I think he nearly fell over when he heard my accent. He says "You're not?". I shake my head from side to side. Cabbage falls out of my mouth. Then he says "Oh, you look like someone I know." HOLD ON. How well do you know this person if you managed to mistake her for me? Maybe he met her in the dark? "Sorry about that" he says and left me to finish my meal.

I don't look remotely Japanese.

No comments: