Saturday, October 08, 2011

Rock of Ages

When I heard that Rock of Ages was opening in Melbourne I wanted to go.  Understandably when I saw ticket prices, I decided to hold out until it opened in London.  It was a bit unusual that it wasn't already showing in London but maybe they didn't have enough theatres available.  

The background story is set in downtown LA in the 1980s, when The Bourbon Room, a bar on the Sunset Strip, is facing demolition from developers.  Oh no!  Two of the The Bourbon Room employees, one an out-of-towner girl chasing her LA dreams and the other a boy wishing to be a rockstar are clearly interested in each other until he inadvertently gives her the impression they're just friends.  Oh and then the typical love compliations ensue.  Listen, it's an effing shit storyline, much like Never Forget and merely a way to loosely tie the songs together.  But, Rock of Ages is more than aware of that.  

Moo and I got some £20 tickets and some nosebleed seats in the upper circle which weren't too bad actually.  We had a decent view of the stage.  
Our view of the stage.  Note the bra hanging from the chandelier.  

Some lucky theatre-goers were also given an LED cigarette lighter to hold up in the air during the ballads.  I was envious and wanted one too! 
During the intermission, someone left theirs at the souvenir counter.  It's mine now!  But then I refused to hold it up during the ballads.  Hehehe.   

Let me say this.  If you do not like any sort of 80s glam rock/classic rock/power rock ballads, then DO NOT see this musical.  You will HATE it.  The music is played louder here than any other musical I've seen and it will feel like you're at a rock concert.  So very appropriate for the cigarette lighters!  
Just an idea of how loud it is.

The woman sitting next to Moo was clearly enjoying her time and got a bit rowdy, cheering and screaming at many points of the show.  While watching Rock of Ages, I also couldn't help but think, 'Omg, I'm becoming a bogan!  I have an inner bogan in me rearing it's head!'  This show is a fun one if you can (even mildly) appreciate the music genre and it is most definitely one for the bogans.  If you're already put off by the idea of hearing these songs, then save you cash and watch something else.  

I might watch it again, but I mustn't forget my mullet wig next time.  I should also mention that they're making a movie version of this musical...... with Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx?!?!  

3 comments:

SuBoo said...

Never Forget was awesome. NEVER FORGET IT. :P

Pooey said...

I won't!!!!

Lame pun Suboo, lame pun. But it had to be said.

SuBoo said...

I know it was terrible but no one else who saw it with us would step up to the plate (probably because we were the only ones who enjoyed it hahaha)