Sunday, October 30, 2011

Goodman

It may appear that I went into overdrive on the meat consumption in the past week but that is not true.  This visit to Goodman occurred about a month ago but I forgot to blog about it.  It was a balmy night in London - an Indian Summer as they like to call it - and Smee and I decided to eat at his newly crowned 'Favourite Steak Place'.  

Goodman, like other decent steak joints, offer steaks by the 100g.  The cuts and the location from where the beef is sourced can vary which ensures quality.  Upon entering the restaurant, there is a real 'City Boys Club' vibe and the snooker table, cigar lounge feel reinforces the atmosphere.  The clientele were mainly men in work suits, enjoying and entertaining (Big bonuses?  Maybe not in this economic climate) with post-work beef.  I spotted about five women including myself.  Women - don't let that put you off digging into some steak here.  

Onto the food:
I had a 400g fillet steak.  I can't remember where this cow came from or whether it was grain or grass fed.  Probably grass.  Probably Scottish.  Price?  I can't remember.  

Smee went overboard.  Wtf.  He ordered a 700g (or maybe it was 600g) T-bone steak.  I learnt something new tonight.  A T-bone is actually two steaks!  A porterhouse (bigger bit) and a fillet (smaller bit).  He actually didn't want it so big but that was the only T-bone choice available.  The funny thing was, afterwards we saw a nearby couple SHARE the steak between them.  Hmmm in hindsight maybe that's what we should've done.  No idea where this cow came from but I think it was grass fed.  Price?  Something expensive.  

Our sides.  Yummy yummy chunky truffle chips with sea salt (£5.00).  I actually preferred these over Heston Blumenthal's.  Bigger serving and nothing can beat a bit of truffle oil on crispy, fluffy chips.  Mac 'n' cheese (£4.00).  Yummy!!!  A bit more textured in comparison to Hawksmoor's due to the larger pasta but just as tasty.  We also both decided to have a slice of fried foie gras on the side (£14.00 each).  If we didn't have a heart attack tonight, then we would have to thank the glass of red for cleaning out our arteries.  

Yes Smee.  I know, I know.  We have too much food.  Yes I know.  Your steak is almost as wide as you.  

Smee is so Asian.  He made sure there wasn't any wastage.  Don't worry.  He was stuffed.  

Dessert.  Just one for me.  Smee was going to explode.  Banoffee pyramid - banana mousse with caramel and a ginger biscuit base (£6.50).  You can't lose with banoffee pie, although it was a bit weird to have it served as a pyramid.  I'm not complaining but a home-style pie would've been preferred.  

Again, Smee and I have eaten well into excess but that's just a demonstration of how much we enjoyed the food here.  If you want steak, you have to mosey on down and give Goodman a shot.  

No comments: