Monday, October 10, 2011

Asda Toffee Sundae

I finally got around to visiting an Asda and followed up on the suggestion that I try their toffee sundae after raving about Waitrose's version.  

First impressions - it's cheaper.  I can't remember the exact price of either, but I remember thinking that Asda cost about 40p less.  I mean, I will only make a significant saving if I eat about 100 but if that's what it takes to save £40, then I'll eat 100 sundaes!  Hahaha.

Second impressions.  Looks a lot damn like the Waitrose version.  Even right down to the packaging and the order of which the layers are... laid.  

It even has the dollop of whipped cream on top.  Just like Waitrose.  Then the toffee custard, toffee sponge cake bits, toffee mousse and cream mousse.  Omfg, so yummy.  

Here's Waitrose's version. I don't have any more photos dammit.  Might have to eat some more and take photos next time. 

Third impressions.  Wow, this could definitely pass for Waitrose's version.  If someone stuck a Waitrose sticker on it, I don't think I would have questioned it's origins.  In fact while eating it, I thought 'Hang on, are these made in the same factory!??!'  Asda's sundae pissed all over Sainsbury's version and I haven't tried Tesco's attempt so I can't comment there.  Although from what I've seen in Tesco, I don't think their sundaes have the sponge cake.  

Anyway, it's been a while since I've eaten the Waitrose sundae (difficult to find sometimes) so maybe my analysis is somewhat skewed.  I think this comparison will be best done when I can place the sundaes side-by-side.  Not sure when this will occur as the closest Asda to where I live is about a 20 minute bus ride into the ghetto.  I shall add it onto my to-do list.  

No comments: