Monday, September 27, 2010

Waitrose Toffee Sundae

One of my favourite pre-made desserts is the Waitrose Toffee Sundae.  I first saw this dessert last year when I was in one of those weak moods and had hankering for something dessert-y.  Surveying the pre-made dessert shelf, I pondered, 'Well, I've had the profiterole dessert and chocolate sundae... Why not try this toffee sundae?'

On that particular day, I couldn't wait to dig in so I collected a plastic spoon on the way out of the supermarket and started stuffing my face.  Mmmmmmm nummy!  Toffee mousse, toffee custard, sticky toffee cake pieces and whipped cream.  So fattening but so nummy!  It totally won me over.

Anyway, my local Waitrose doesn't seem to stock the Toffee Sunday anymore :(  I looked for it at John Lewis on Oxford St but couldn't find it there either.  I got pretty upset and assumed that they had discontinued the product but I was relieved to see that was still available online.  But boo at the fact that my local doesn't stock it anymore.

As a result, I have been on a hunt for a toffee sundae replacement.  I had seen one at Tesco but it did not look appetising so I have not bothered to try it.  However, my local Sainsburys had a toffee sundae which seemed to be practically identical in it's components to it's Waitrose counterpart.  I got pretty excited, took it to the counter and gave my donation to the Sainsburys register.
It was pretty good, but nothing like my favoured Waitrose one.  Generally, the consistency of the cream, mousse and toffee cake wasn't as nice as Waitrose's.  The other notable difference was that there was too much plain whipped cream.  All I could think while eating the Sainsburys sundae was that "I am eating plain cream".  That in turn made me feel fat.  It makes no sense, but the utter deliciousness of the Waitrose toffee cream was so enjoyable that the thought of eating fatty cream didn't cross my mind.  I figure this Sainsbury sundae will suffice as a substitute though.

Still happy to try more desserts, I spotted this new Caramel Frappe sundae at my local M&S.  Ooooh, caramel and cinnamon - well that's just two of my favourite dessert ingredients.  This sundae was already half-way there for me.
I was hoping for a bit of cake in the sundae but no joy :(  It's definitely not a toffee sundae, but with it's butterscotch mousse, caramel, cream and cinnamon, it has it's own decent qualities.  The consistency of the mousse is on par to Waitrose's quality and as I've come to expect; M&S and Waitrose desserts really do kick ass over Tesco, Sainsburys and the other chains.

So, while I'll continue to hunt my Waitrose Toffee Sundae, it is nice to know I will have some alternatives.  (Sometimes, I really do eat too much.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled to find that there is someone else who understands the importance of the toffee Sundae!!! Waitrose is the best by far, Sainsbury's is nice but you're right so fatty it's like eating butter, try the Asda one, it's nearly there!

Justine

Pooey said...

Thanks for the tip Justine! I don't live near an Asda but if I happen to be near one, I'll hunt it down.

I did wonder if anyone else loved the toffee sundae and I'm glad that you do!