Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Munich - Day 1

So yep, nine hours after coming back from Paris, here were Moo and I riding the DLR at 6am to London City airport.  This by far was the best choice as for any other airport, Moo and I would have had to leave the house at 5am.
Despite having the biggest eyebags ever, Moo was happy to drive the DLR to the airport.  All that driving was a bit much and she had to have a crash nap at our Munich hotel.  

The hotel was average at best and overpriced due to the Oktoberfest.  I couldn't ask more from it's location as it was opposite the Haupbahnhof and walking distance to the city centre.  What did irk me was the greasy, rude prick manning the reception desk.  Rude on check-in, rude on service, rude on key delivery.  I actually think he was the hotel manager.

After the nanna nap, we ventured to the city centre for some quick sightseeing but more importantly - dirndl buying.  Moo really wanted to get into the spirit of Oktoberfest.  On the train ride from the airport to the hotel we observed a lot of people wearing the traditional dress - dirndls for women, lederhosen for men.  Initially it was quite funny, almost like they were taking the piss out of it.  But as more and more passengers got on the train I realised, 'Hang on, leather shorts are serious stuff in Bavaria!'
Checking out the town gate and some buildings near Marienplatz

The New Town Hall and another building... I can't recall what it was.  

On to the important task of the day - buying Moo's dirndl.  We were hoping to each buy one but I soon realised they don't really do 'cheap' dirndls unless you buy one of the slutty interpretations from sex shops.  The next best thing was to head into C&A (the European equivalent of Target) and find something suitable.  We were pretty impressed with the range and even the 'cheapest' lederhosen were still made of goat leather!
Obviously all that's comes at a price and while €99 for a dirndl is a bargain by most measures, I happily declined my purchase while Moo settled on the cute design above.  I will take advantage of the fact that Moo and I are similar sizes and I could always borrow it later on!

We hadn't eaten, so we walked up towards Viktualiemarkt to see what was on offer.
Moo checking out the sausages.  Some very likelife and creepy-looking foxes (inedible).

With dinner in only a few hours, we settled on a currywurst from one of the sausage kiosks. 

Believe it or not, I know a native Munchener - Hai Verms!  This was going to be the first time we had seen each after other in 7 years after living together in a crazy woman's house.  Aaah memories.  To ensure a most authentic take on Munich we had dinner at the Fraunhofer, a beer hall away from the tourist hoards.
The menu with what I guess are the original owners on front. 

Verms and I clinking our spezi.  

Liver dumpling soup.  Moo and I shared it.

My hearty venison stew with a dumpling and cranberry (I think) sauce.  Num nums!  It was like as though I shot my own deer, cut him up and cooked him up myself.  

In the spirit of Oktoberfest, Moo ordered the pork knuckle.  Yum yum.  The meat just melted.

To burn off our dinner, Verms and C then gave us a night walking tour around Munich.  Moo and I then retired to our hotel to rest up for tomorrow's super day at Oktoberfest!

2 comments:

mallymoodle said...

Ja! Muenchen ist gut!

I hope that's right.

SuBoo said...

99 Euros - hefty!