Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hanging Out in Paris

Today was a day for just hanging out.  We had a well deserved sleep-in but rose early enough to return to Rue Montorgueil for the open air market.  There are several markets littered around Paris, many of which have existed for centuries and still where locals shop for fresh produce.  A rotisserie selling roast chickens beckoned our stomachs but alas we had to decline because of lunch plans.  *sigh*  If only I had two stomachs.
Poultry, seafood and other meaty goods on display.  Mooey picking out some fresh fruit. 

We headed down to arr 14 for some Viet food with Frenchie relo, Asterix.
Enjoying my broken rice and Viet iced coffee.

Then to try out the poison pork rolls of Paris.  

My conclusive research indicates that the PPRs in Australia reign supreme.  I was a little surprised to see they used actual French baguettes rather than the Vietnamese-fusion version I'm accustomed to.  It just wasn't the same.

It just so happened that this trip to Paris was exactly a year to the day of my previous visit and also when Fen-Fen and I got free entry to the Arc de Triomphe.  I had no idea why it was free last year, but upon digging I discovered that it was European Heritage Day and so many state buildings are open to the public.
Smee making good use of his free visit up the Arc de Triomphe.  

We then ticked off another tourist drawcard and had a snack at Laduree, famous for it's macarons and pastries.
Moo and I being embarrassing with the menu.  The grand room in which we were seated.  

I had gone a bit overboard with the macaron consumption in Oz (somewhat disappointing) and had promised myself to not eat anymore until Paris.  Bring it on.
Waiting for my treat. 

Gnoudesavanes three scoops of ice cream.  I settled on the Mini Macarons Glaces which consisted of my choice of sorbet/ice cream and four assorted iced macarons.  I had the rose petal ice cream (So light yet full of flavour. Delish!) but I've forgotten what flavour macarons I was given.  Judging from the picture, two of them have got to be raspberry and coffee.  It doesn't matter because all I remember is that they were filled with ice cream instead of the usual ganache/buttercream and were fricking YUMMY!!!!!

My ice tea.  Moo enjoying herself. 

Sure, I'm aware they have a Laduree in London.... but, but... it's not the same as eating it on the Champs Elysees!  Stupid Pooey the Tourist.

Unlike Moo and I who had no job commitments to worry about, Smee had to return to London tonight.  Full from a day of constant snacking, Moo and I settled for a crepe 'dinner'.
Complete with posing. 

Tomorrow - our final day in Paris!

1 comment:

mallymoodle said...

Yay Paris!
PAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSS!!!!